Serial # location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serial # location

I want to get my build sheet ordered for my '55. Do I need the number stamped on the build plate on the drivers A-pillar?

The PO had emailed me a number a while back: G1352961. I don't see that number anywhere on the car. But the number on the ID plate is nothing like that:7807378.

What number does the Museum need in order to process an order for the build sheet?

Paul

Paul

In memory of Boris, the 1950 Land Cruiser project,
    . . . he became a down payment for. . .
    Natasha, the 1955 Speedster project

I finally have a Stude I can drive! (sort of)
    1962 GT Hawk, 4 speed, a/c

The 780 number is within the serial number range of Los Angeles built '55 Presidents. The 'G' number the P/O sent you is for a '55 Champion (six cylinder car) built in South Bend.

Dwain G.
    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

The 780 number is within the serial number range of Los Angeles built '55 Presidents. The 'G' number the P/O sent you is for a '55 Champion (six cylinder car) built in South Bend.

Dwain G.
      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dwain G.

The body tag on the firewall says it's K7 #1279. But it's held onto the firewall by mismatched rusty screws, so that's not a sure thing. But the engine number is P6086, so that sounds like it would be correct. (Now that I finally figured out how to read the chart of engine ID's.)

If that G135 # was actually on the car, wouldn't that be on the door pillar plate? Since it's not, I'll have to assume the 780 number is the number to use. It's said to be a California car for the first 20 years or so of its life, so the Los Angeles assembly would make sense, too, along with the general lack of rust-through's.

Thanks for the info.

Where do you find all that serial number info? Somewhere in your Studebaker library?

Paul

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dwain G.

The body tag on the firewall says it's K7 #1279. But it's held onto the firewall by mismatched rusty screws, so that's not a sure thing. But the engine number is P6086, so that sounds like it would be correct. (Now that I finally figured out how to read the chart of engine ID's.)

If that G135 # was actually on the car, wouldn't that be on the door pillar plate? Since it's not, I'll have to assume the 780 number is the number to use. It's said to be a California car for the first 20 years or so of its life, so the Los Angeles assembly would make sense, too, along with the general lack of rust-through's.

Thanks for the info.

Where do you find all that serial number info? Somewhere in your Studebaker library?

Paul

Comment

That serial number info is in the very front pages of the parts books. That 78****** number is what you wanna send for the production order.
            One thing you can TRY to confirm that number is to look and see if that same number is visible on the bottom flanges of the rear-most cross member of your car. On cars (not trucks), that's where the "secret" supplementary stamping of the serial number was done. Likely it's rusted over but with some wire brushing or even light sanding, it MIGHT be viewable. It's usually very lightly stamped.[:I]

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

That serial number info is in the very front pages of the parts books. That 78****** number is what you wanna send for the production order.
              One thing you can TRY to confirm that number is to look and see if that same number is visible on the bottom flanges of the rear-most cross member of your car. On cars (not trucks), that's where the "secret" supplementary stamping of the serial number was done. Likely it's rusted over but with some wire brushing or even light sanding, it MIGHT be viewable. It's usually very lightly stamped.[:I]

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
              X