Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the 1950 Green Called

Hey Guys
    I just got in a re-chromed bullet nose I found online and when taking off my old one I exposed a section of the original green paint. I do want to change the car from black back to the original color someday soon. Does anyone know what this green is called? What your opinion to going back to original? I love the way black looks when clean but forget keeping it that way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Green.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	1746224

Thanks
    Studebaker Ron

I like original colors and I think the green would look great. As soon as I bought my 50 Champ I bought the color chips on ebay for 1950 Studebakers.
    The Studebaker National Museum has an excellent book called "1950 Champions, Commanders, and Land Cruisers". It's an iformational guide and list a lot of facts and accessories for 1950.

I can't find my paint chips right now, so I can't help on the name of your green.

Comment

Another magazine you'd like is the February 2001 Turning Wheels. I found mine on ebay, and it has a lot of information about the 1950 Studebakers. On the cover is a beautiful deep red 4 door Champion.

BTW, there are 5 different greens listed for 1950, so you should look on ebay for the paint chips. They are on there every day for about $10.
      Last edited by TWChamp; 01-31-2015, 02:58 AM.

Comment

Suggestion...Check out the 1950 Studebaker paint chips available on ebay. You might find your answer there.

Reggie

Comment

The green is called "Aqua Green". I owned a 1950 4 door Champion that color. I had the car for over 30 years. When I first joined SDC I would never see another '50 painted that color. Over the years I have seen only a few at meets painted Aqua.
          I really liked the color and I believe you will not see many other '50's painted that color.
          Gary Sanders
          Nixa, MO

Comment

Thanks Guys
            I just looked at paint chips on ebay and it sure does look like Aqua Green just as Gary said. I like original factory cars so this unique 1950 color will ride once more on my car. The dash is painted gray along with the moldings around the windows on the inside. Is this factory or has this also been painted? Are the inside door panels original......most I see on the net have theClick image for larger version

Name:	Dash.jpg
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	1695255Click image for larger version

Name:	Door P.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	1695256 chrome molding a bit more higher than the one on my car?

Thanks
            Ron

Comment

The factory interior was grey, although with a little more black in it than yours. But it could just be the lighting of the picture. There was just a thread a couple days ago about the 1950 interior gray color and paint no. Only the convertibles head their dash color match the exterior paint color.

On the chrome, yes yours is way to low. Should be down from the window frame maybe 6-8 inches, as I remember.

Mark

Comment

I had an aqua green 1950 Starlight Champion. I tore off a front fender. After I obtained all of the parts to repair it, I sold it. The interior was what I would call a gun-metal gray. I tried matching it up with paint chips, but was way off. A local car dealer who had a paint shop at one time piddled with it until he got a perfect match. The first time I remember seeing an aqua green Studie was our neighbor had a two-door 1950 Champion in that color when I was quite young. I've liked that color ever since.

Comment

I repainted a 50 commander Aqua Green as it was originally. I sold that one but liked the color so much that I am going to repaint the 50 commander I am keeping Aqua Green. We just do not like the grey that it currently is and it needs repaint as someone whom parked next to it in the garage put more paint chips in it then I have ever seen in a single car. The best part is I was able to get the paint from my Dupont store
                  Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                  1961 Hawk 4-speed
                  1967 Avanti
                  1961 Lark 2 door
                  1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

My 1947 Champion was, is a nice Studebaker green. Was to a car show once and a older fellow came up to me after checking out my Studebaker and said " nice car, weren't all Studebakers painted green? "
                    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

There are a great many 1951 Studes. that were ordered with a slightly Blue tinted Green, I would call Peacock Green, but yes it is Aqua, a very pretty Color no matter what Studebaker called it each year.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Those who said Aqua Green are correct. My '50 Commander is that color based on the Production Order. See my avatar.
                        Ed Sallia
                        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Hey Ed
                          Could you post a few photos of your car in Aqua Green? I love the color and my car will be painted back to the original aqua green ....just not sure when as engine work takes priority for now.

Thanks
                          Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Ron View Post
                            Hey Ed
                            Could you post a few photos of your car in Aqua Green? I love the color and my car will be painted back to the original aqua green ....just not sure when as engine work takes priority for now.

Thanks
                            Ron
                            Here ya go Ron.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010517.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	1695295Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010500.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	1695296Click image for larger version

Name:	2012 Orphan Car Show ofc24.jpg
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	1695297Click image for larger version

Name:	P1011600.jpg
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	1695298Click image for larger version

Name:	P1011585.jpg
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	1695299
                            I seems to change color depending on the light.
                            Ed Sallia
                            Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Thanks Ed
                              That is one nice looking Studebaker. Amazing how the light makes it look more blue and then more green. I took the photo at the start of this trend in a dark garage and the original color of my car looked more like the last photo you posted. I view this as a bonus feature of Aqua Green as it looks amazing regardless of the lighting. Not sure why someone 30 plus years back painted my car black but everyone has different likes and dislikes. I vote for Aqua Green and since it's my car Aqua Green she will be

Ron

Comment

Working...
                              X