1949 2R5 Oil Filter???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 1949 2R5 Oil Filter???

Is there (was there) an oil filter on the 1949 2R5 169 Economiser engine?

LN

Oil filters at that time were an option on Studebakers and were ordered from the factory when the truck was built, installed by the dealer or could be purchased from an auto parts supplier and installed by the vehicle owner. Bud

Comment

Not as standard equipment. It was frequently ordered for rural areas, however, and many dealers installed them as dealer-installed options. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks fellas. Can these be had? If so, who?

LN

Comment

SI has the oil lines and restrictor available. The Fram canister and mounting hardware often shows up on Ebay and at Studebaker swap meets. Many manufacturers, including tractors and industrial machines used the same canister and cartridge.
          One fellow recently junked a complete 232 V-8 with filter system because the filter system was worth more than the engine block.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I found several 50-55 Packard oil system canisters for sale?

LN

I also found a forum that claims you must use a .040 re-stricter or you will starve the bearings. Another thought not having an oil filter is better for the wear factor on the engine, than having one? Again, the starvation factor. As long as you change the oil every 2000, he added. What do you think?

LN

Comment

There is an unbelievable amount of Oil that passes through those Bi-Pass Filters, one of our Frequent posters here figured out how much, but to me it is a no brainer, the Factory of many makes did not install these for nothing, some Filtering is better than none.

The restrictor is no big deal, most spin-on type filter bases (used on '58-'62 Stude.) include that in the inlet and the Canister type usually come with a Brass fitting properly drilled.

All makes used these Fram F3 or F4 Filters that use a Fram C3 or C4 Element.

Your money and your Engine, but I would get one.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I agree with Stude Rich. Filtering 20% of the oil as it circulates is a lot better than 0%.

Comment

Rockne10 summed it up nicely. The canisters are around, and sometimes complete kits come up on ebay. The mounting location, hoses, and their routing differ by engine type, but a copy of the factory instructions can be provided by the SDC template custodian.
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

I've got an extra, low mileage Champion engine with an oil filter on it that's for sale. If you buy it, I'll throw in a nice 1949 2R15. I'm just down the road from you in Kingman.
                    Rick
                    Kingman, AZ

Comment

Working...
                    X