Mercedes-Benz returning to South Bend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercedes-Benz returning to South Bend

I just read in the SB Tribune on-line edition that Mercedes is having a SUV model be built at the AM General plant. And to think it was Studebaker who introduced Mercedes to the U.S. back in the day! It's like deja vu! Well.......that may be stretch.

Originally posted by gregoryLeslie White View Post
    I just read in the SB Tribune on-line edition that Mercedes is having a SUV model be built at the AM General plant. And to think it was Studebaker who introduced Mercedes to the U.S. back in the day! It's like deja vu! Well.......that may be stretch.
    Just maybe Mercedes might decide to be a great corporate citizen and provide some support to the Studebaker National Museum, just like Hummer did. If anyone can provide a contact I'll be glad to approach them at the appropriate time.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
      Just maybe Mercedes might decide to be a great corporate citizen and provide some support to the Studebaker National Museum, just like Hummer did. If anyone can provide a contact I'll be glad to approach them at the appropriate time.
      Stu,

That would be nice if they would document something from their 1957 - 1965 years in North America at the SNM, considering Studebaker executives did use a lot of M-B products to drive at the time.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
        Stu,

That would be nice if they would document something from their 1957 - 1965 years in North America at the SNM, considering Studebaker executives did use a lot of M-B products to drive at the time.

Craig
        I agree Craig. Now if someone in South Bend can get me executive contact information at Mercedes Benz. Or perhaps someone at AM General can assist.

Stu Chapman

Comment

I saw the same headline on WSBT Facebook page. They are going to build the Mercedes Benz "R" class which is sold exclusively, and is popular in China.
          Hey, at least AM General got the contract.
          Chris Dresbach

Comment

What goes around, comes around. I remember when Studebaker dealers were selling MB cars, there was a small Stude dealer in Rockville Centre, Long Island that had a beautiful model 190 roadster in the showroom.
            The name of the dealer was Ideal Motors. That dealership now is still in Rockville Centre (better location) and is all Mercedes Benz. It's a large dealership.
            I hope that MB does support the Studebaker National Museum in the future.
            Rog
            '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
            Smithtown,NY
            Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Is AM General still alive?
              I thought it was parts of the Chrysler /Fiat deal.

Comment

UAW local 5 one of the first auto Unions in the U.S. that built Studebakers is still alive at AM General and I imagine will be building the New Mercedes there.

Comment

Comment

As one not current on AM general's plants, will they be using any former Studebaker facilities?
                    63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
                      As one not current on AM general's plants, will they be using any former Studebaker facilities?
                      No. AM General only uses their Mishawaka plant for vehicle production which was never a Studebaker plant.
                      Chris Dresbach

Comment

This Story reads really weird: http://blog.caranddriver.com/am-gene...mercedes-benz/

Apparently "R" Class (looks like a Mini SUV) Production was stopped because sales in it's best year were only 20,000 not even close to it's Target.

So in 2012 U.S. sales were stopped, all other Global markets stopped in 2013 EXCEPT Far East (China) which still continues at the Tuscaloosa North American Assembly Plant.

This will be transferred to South Bend at the AM General Plant that builds Hummers where they expect to build ONLY 10,000 Units a year? And this would be World Wide, with good demand in China!
                        That makes NO sense if the Goal was WAY, way over a terrible year of only 20,000!

I wonder if Car and Driver got their Story straight?
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                          This Story reads really weird: http://blog.caranddriver.com/am-gene...mercedes-benz/

Apparently "R" Class (looks like a Mini SUV) Production was stopped because sales in it's best year were only 20,000 not even close to it's Target.

So in 2012 U.S. sales were stopped, all other Global markets stopped in 2013 EXCEPT Far East (China) which still continues at the Tuscaloosa North American Assembly Plant.

This will be transferred to South Bend at the AM General Plant that builds Hummers where they expect to build ONLY 10,000 Units a year? And this would be World Wide, with good demand in China!
                          That makes NO sense if the Goal was WAY, way over a terrible year of only 20,000!

I wonder if Car and Driver got their Story straight?
                          I believe that this will only be a short term build-out of this R model. I think that is why they are going to a vendor (AM Gen.) that they can use short term (maybe one year). This plan will free up capacity for something else in M-B's Tuscaloosa plant.

The expensive work (design, dies, jigs) for this model is done and they probably have an inventory of parts/pieces/panels.

If they can produce and sell 10K more in China, that is just gravy.

This plan makes sense to me. Cathy liked the R Series when it first came out, but it was too big for her use.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Is A.M. General still in the old Studebaker Plant on Chippewa in South Bend? I heard they were clearing out of there leaving lots of available space.

Comment

Originally posted by tjanowia View Post
                              Is A.M. General still in the old Studebaker Plant on Chippewa in South Bend? I heard they were clearing out of there leaving lots of available space.
                              See Post #11 already answered.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X