X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some very old iron in motion.

Mechanical enthusiasts-Enjoy!!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/huQhqXiB8O0

Cool. Take your train anywhere with the right wheels/tires.

Thanks

Mike

Comment

Very nice! Thanks for sharing it. The lead locomotive seems to predate the invention of the differential, and that would not have mattered on its original not paved driving surfaces.

Comment

That's been going around the internet with considerable interest.

Many people comment on how many times the driver has to rotate the steering wheel in the first, huge behemoth, to get around that corner. I watched it several times and counted him turning the wheel through 17 revolutions just to make that 90-degree turn. So that would be a minimum of 34 revolutions lock-to-lock! (Geeze, that is more than my 1956 Packard Clipper's manual steering!) BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Very interesting to see how the capstan type steering works. We have lots of working steam here in Oregon but you don't often get to see them run down the road like this. Here is a photo of the steering on one of these. Very crude but they work.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1324.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	1695184
          Ed Sallia
          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I have a friend with a Case steam tractor, much more difficult to run than you would initially think.

Comment

First one is 1912 McLaren road locomotive number 1332 "Gigantic", second is 1919 McLaren road locomotive number 1652 "Boadicea", third is 1911 Burrell road locomotive number 3257 "Clinker", fourth is 1916 Foden 5 ton steam wagon.

Foden 5 tonner tackling a steep hill.

Built in 1915, this Foden carries the livery of Newquay Steam Beer. It was filmed in October 1994 climbing the steep hill from Porthtowan bay to St.Agnes in...

Terry
              Last edited by dictator27; 01-27-2015, 02:16 PM.

Comment

The Brits should have lined several hundred of these up on No Man's Land and pointed them at the German line. Set 'em loose and watch the fun.
                Ed Sallia
                Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I spent some time in England some years ago, and I learned then that there are people who plan their summers driving machines like these around the country, at that speed, with destinations timed to coincide with an event that includes a car show and many of these machines. It is impressive to see them working in person. One event had a plowing demonstration which showed how they worked in pairs to plow a field. Very impressive.

Comment

You 'uns is missing the best of old iron and steam.. coming soon to high rails near you!

Ron Dame
                    '63 Champ

Comment

Neat. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
                        You 'uns is missing the best of old iron and steam.. coming soon to high rails near you!

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/local/611-...steam/30930768
                        'Looking good, Ron; thanks for the link. BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Great fun to watch! Thanks for sharing!
                          I have two neighbors nearby who operate theses amazing pieces of machinery!
                          One is a ginormous Steam John Deere and the other a Case.
                          sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                          Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                          "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
                            The Brits should have lined several hundred of these up on No Man's Land and pointed them at the German line. Set 'em loose and watch the fun.
                            In effect, the British did that in 1916. The Battle of the Somme was the first use of tanks in battle, IIRC.

Comment

Working...
                            X