Scotsman Pickup Instrument cluster surround paint colour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Scotsman Pickup Instrument cluster surround paint colour

Since it has been rather cold lately, I've decided to work inside and redo the instruments of my 4E-2. The truck has NO GLASS ANYWHERE (including instruments) and the interior is very rough. The truck is Tahiti Coral in colour and the glove box door is the same colour yet the instruments surround is a different colour. There is no cab tag with paint or interior codes and I am at a loss as to what colour I should be looking for to do this surround. Any ideas? The photos aren't great but the orginal colour seems to be a coppery brown.
    Attached Files
    1963 Canadian Lark VY-6 4E2-122 Deluxe Scotsman

Bognor, Ontario, Canada

The tone of the color will not be super critical as long as it matches the Glove box door.
    I thought they were all Tan to match the door panel inserts, someone with one of these will have to verify this.

Wow, a '59 Scotty Deluxe, pretty rare! They are so close to a '59 Studebaker Deluxe, you really have to wonder if the very few dollars less, made it worth while to build them.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Actually Rich, that's my problem. It DOESN'T MATCH the glove box door. It is a totally different colour. I've seen this on quite a few of the 57 to 59 C-Cab trucks. Yes, the door panels match the glove box door (also Tahiti Coral). The 6E-40 that I sold had matching glove box and instrument surround colour (black) and the door panels there were tan (not cab colour - green in that case). I'm not sure if this is just a 1959 thing or even if it is only specific to the Scotty.

As to rarity - I believe it is the only one currently in Canada and according to research done by Dan Kuhl (Mar. 2012 Turning Wheels) is one of only 36 DeLuxe 4E-2's built. Some theorize that the package was introduced to use up Transtar style parts that would not be used on the upcoming Champ models. Who knows, they built 4447 Scotsman models that year - just over 50% of the entire 1959 truck production - of which 391 were DeLuxe Scotmans. Hardly seems like it.

Doug

Bognor, Ontario, Canada

Comment

It may just be a 1959 thing. My 4E40 with original interior has a semi-gloss black instrument cluster and a white glove box door. The door panels are white. I have seen a couple of other 4Es with the same combination. But I'm gonna paint both the dash and the glove box door black so they match.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
          It may just be a 1959 thing. My 4E40 with original interior has a semi-gloss black instrument cluster and a white glove box door. The door panels are white. I have seen a couple of other 4Es with the same combination. But I'm gonna paint both the dash and the glove box door black so they match.
          Yeah, that's it Skip. Everything is cab colour EXCEPT the instrument cluster. Mine isn't black and I don't want it to be Tahiti Coral like the rest of the truck. Probably just end up taking it in somewhere and seeing what I can match it up to. Anybody else have a 1959 Tahiti Coral truck or am I the only one?

Doug

Bognor, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I take it then that I am the only one with a 1959 Tahiti Coral coloured truck.

Doug

Bognor, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Here are some pictures that I took of one of our members Scotsman. He bought it out of South Dakota with 32,000 original miles. I hadn't even noticed that the gauge panel and glove box don't match.
              Attached Files
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                Here are some pictures that I took of one of our members Scotsman. He bought it out of South Dakota with 32,000 original miles. I hadn't even noticed that the gauge panel and glove box don't match.
                I guess with the Scotsman being low priced, they kept things as simple as possible. 1 pass through the paint booths, add the instrument cluster later type of thing. What I don't quite get is why my surround is a coppery-brown colour when the others mentioned or shown here are black. Since my Deluxe Scotsman is rather rare, I would like to restore it properly which is why I am asking about the appropriate colour. Black would be real easy but I'm not sure it is correct for a Tahiti Coral truck. Thanks for posting the pics.

Doug

Bognor, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I have a 59 Scotsman parts truck. The factory body color was light blue. The instrument panel plate is medium dark blue. I'm quite sure it is factory paint. The glove box door is the same light blue as the rest of the truck. You might simply pick any color that is a little darker than the body of your truck. I doubt there is anyone who could know what the "real" factory color of the instrument panel was.

Comment

Originally posted by s2d63lark View Post
                    I take it then that I am the only one with a 1959 Tahiti Coral coloured truck.
                    International offered a similar color for 1958, called Timber Tan. (It may have also been offered for 1959 as well.)

Craig

Comment

Wow, that is ONE UGLY Truck! I guess it would be pretty rare though, and it IS different!
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                        Wow, that is ONE UGLY Truck! I guess it would be pretty rare though, and it IS different!
                        It's not as nice as Studebaker's M or Champs, but I kind of like it and think it looks a lot better than some of those recent Ford slab sided pickups.

Comment

Well, Rich,

IF..Studebaker had gone and produced that cab-forward 'Westinghouse' truck that is now in the SMN, they may have used the International's instrument cluster.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                            It's not as nice as Studebaker's M or Champs, but I kind of like it and think it looks a lot better than some of those recent Ford slab sided pickups.
                            As my dad used to say, "It's so ugly, it's cute!"
                            Mike Davis
                            1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Working...
                            X