Identifying Studebaker radiators.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying Studebaker radiators.

In response to bhapner's need for a radiator Joe and I pulled some out of his storage shed. Two radiators appear to have the same part #, but I am confused. Both radiators have 1554340 tags on them. One has 5G1 and the other 5D2. My 59-62 parts book says that number is for a 259 V-8. Was the 289 different?

The third radiator is number 1539061 with 5L6 on it. I "think" it is out of a 56 or 57 Commander. I don't have that book. Any info appreciated.

For some reason the pictures didn't load in order.
    Attached Files
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

After you have one re-cored the minor differences like 2 or 3 rows of tubes will not matter, which is often the only diff. between some part numbers. The buyer can put in the 3 Row or the 2 row, whatever they can find or afford.

I believe the 1554340 for 259 '62-'64 is a 2 Row and the 341 for 289 is 3 Row.

The 1539061 # 3 & 4 Pics are of a '56 and '57 Comm. & Pres. V8 all except C & K.

You could be correct, that 1 & 2 are the same as 5 & 6

The 3 digit alpha/numeric numbers are just Mfg. codes, probably Mfg. dates, ignore those.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 01-24-2015, 08:31 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for the info. These things have been stored 30 years or more and the details get mixed up.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
        In response to bhapner's need for a radiator Joe and I pulled some out of his storage shed. Two radiators appear to have the same part #, but I am confused. Both radiators have 1554340 tags on them. One has 5G1 and the other 5D2. My 59-62 parts book says that number is for a 259 V-8. Was the 289 different?

The third radiator is number 1539061 with 5L6 on it. I "think" it is out of a 56 or 57 Commander. I don't have that book. Any info appreciated.

For some reason the pictures didn't load in order.
        Howard, 1/2 and 5/6 look correct. Send me a private message with price on 5/6. THANKS for all your help.

hapner

Comment

Looking for a useable 1543643 radiator for my 57 Packard. If any out there let me know.
          Thanks
          sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
          Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
          "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

I have one that is a McCord 5S5, any idea what it would go to?
            Possibly a 55, also possibly a speedster,...?

I have no idea it just came with my car when I bought it. Sorry I tried to post a pic but can't from my not so smart phone.

Dean.

Comment

Working...
            X