Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help

I am restoring a 1950 champion and there is surface rust under the floor, up under the front fenders and the rear fenders. It all seems to be just light rust, no flakes. Also, inside the doors-I have all the glass out, and inside the area under the rear windows. I have both doors, four fenders, trunk lid, and hood off and want to treat the rust and maybe spray undercoating material on all of those areas before having the car painted. I need to know how to treat the rust and be done with it so that I can take the car to be painted. I will take it in pieces so each one can be painted all over before I put it back together. Also, even though the car runs and drives alright I am planning to rewire it since the insulation is cracking off the wires. I would like to buy a harness but so far they seem to be very expensive considering the small amount of wire and time involved for someone who does it on a regular basis-is there someone who provides harnesses at a reasonable price. The trunk lid has rusted quite a bit about 3 inches up from the bottom edge below the latch and all the way across so, I am open for suggestions on this too. Also, should I paint the frame after I treat the rust or should I put undercoating on it too?

Is there any studebaker supplier that is known for having the most fair prices.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Jimmie

1950 2 timer
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana
    1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

I don't know where you have looked, but most of us Studebaker Vendors at studebakervendors.com get less than $200.00 for that harness, the classic car Ron Francis etc. ones would not be as correct, and I heard they are more! [:0]

If you paint everything that is NOT exterior visible surface with POR15 and undercoat it all inside and out except the frame, you will have preserved it as much as possible. Frames were not undercoated.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I don't know where you have looked, but most of us Studebaker Vendors at studebakervendors.com get less than $200.00 for that harness, the classic car Ron Francis etc. ones would not be as correct, and I heard they are more! [:0]

If you paint everything that is NOT exterior visible surface with POR15 and undercoat it all inside and out except the frame, you will have preserved it as much as possible. Frames were not undercoated.

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I agree with Rich on the POR-15, and I'd add one prep step beforehand.

I've had excellent results with ExRust, made by Kano Labs (makers of Kroil). It combines with the ferrous oxide and completely neutralizes it, leaving a metallic gray surface ready for whatever you wish to apply. Coat THAT surface with POR-15 and it will last forever.

Here's a link for more info: http://www.kanolabs.com/

"Obsolete" is a highly subjective term.
        Andy
        62 GT

Comment

I agree with Rich on the POR-15, and I'd add one prep step beforehand.

I've had excellent results with ExRust, made by Kano Labs (makers of Kroil). It combines with the ferrous oxide and completely neutralizes it, leaving a metallic gray surface ready for whatever you wish to apply. Coat THAT surface with POR-15 and it will last forever.

Here's a link for more info: http://www.kanolabs.com/

"Obsolete" is a highly subjective term.
          Andy
          62 GT

Comment

Taking the car in pieces to be painted can lead to problems. It will work okay if all of the needed paint is mixed at once from one batch. If you paint the pieces at different times with different mixes of paint, depending on color, the panels may look different from each other when they are installed on the car.

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Taking the car in pieces to be painted can lead to problems. It will work okay if all of the needed paint is mixed at once from one batch. If you paint the pieces at different times with different mixes of paint, depending on color, the panels may look different from each other when they are installed on the car.

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Thanks for the reminder about the painting needing to be done from the same mixture etc. I would hope that whoever I get to do this job would not overlook this but they might.
                Jimmie

quote:Originally posted by studegary

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                1950 2 timer
                sigpicJimmie
                Orange County, Indiana

Comment

Thanks for the reminder about the painting needing to be done from the same mixture etc. I would hope that whoever I get to do this job would not overlook this but they might.
                  Jimmie

quote:Originally posted by studegary

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  1950 2 timer
                  sigpicJimmie
                  Orange County, Indiana

Comment

I'd just have the pieces parts painted inside and jambed once they have the dents and rust out, leave the outside in primer and shoot the car all together when it's done. If you do this you need to use an epoxy primer to keep it from rusting again.

nate

--
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    --
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I'd just have the pieces parts painted inside and jambed once they have the dents and rust out, leave the outside in primer and shoot the car all together when it's done. If you do this you need to use an epoxy primer to keep it from rusting again.

nate

--
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      --
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Just another precaution here, but EVEN IF you use the "same batch" or "mix" of paint, different air temp and humidity can cause differing results![}]

Miscreant adrift in
                        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Just another precaution here, but EVEN IF you use the "same batch" or "mix" of paint, different air temp and humidity can cause differing results![}]

Miscreant adrift in
                          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                          X