Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '57 Clipper SW

Hi everyone,
    Can anyone tell me if there is difference in 1956 Packard Clipper Taillights and 1957 Clipper? I'm having difficulty in locating 1957 units for my wagon.
    Thanks,
    Bill

Hi Stanwood,
    Thanks for your reply. What are the minor differences? Will the taillight and backup lenses still fit? Do you know if the brightwork is the same.
    Thanks for your trouble.
    Bill

Comment

These pics are the main differences 56 have rubber attached with pressed in rivets 57 have holes on each side for phillips screws with matching boss on back side, also have different casting number .
      Attached Files

Comment

My 1957 Clipper wagon has the rubber gasket held in by rivets. I guess in the last 57, almost 58 years they were changed?
        Bill, keep checking ebay, they show up every so often. I think there may be one available now. Prices are a bit crazy but keep looking, the're out there.
        Me
        sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
        Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
        "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Hands down the most beautiful tail lamp lens ever made....bar none!

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys. I checked the ebay listing and the light assembly looks like the ones I have. Mine are weather beaten with some pits from being exposed to the southern California heat for 50+ years. I may have found some 1956 units and wondered if they were a good fit or not. I have new lenses so its just the pot metal housings I am concerned with. I may have to bite the bullet and get mine refinished by Jerry Forrester or ?? Any other suggestions?
            Thanks,
            Bill

Comment

There was an article in Turning Wheels about this a few years ago. Otis Romaine spoke about the vast number of leftover 1956 Clipper tail lamps from Detroit/Utica being re-drilled for use in 1957 production. He also detailed his specific involvement in developing the Clipper Country sedan and various other Packard related efforts.

Chris.

Comment

Working...
              X