Wild rides in Russia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wild rides in Russia

Fortunately no known Studebakers hurt here.

Bill

You couldn't PAY ME to drive in any foreign country.
    The US is bad enough.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I have driven in foreign countries and had no problem as long as I was on my game. They tend NOT to be defensive drivers but strangely have fewer wrecks. My theory is that everyone is so intent on blasting through traffic they are never distracted. I was young then. I might not be so comfortable at age 65.
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Sent the vid to a civil engineer friend who had worked all over the world. He laughed, and said "no matter where you go in the world, if you are an American - you are at fault - because if you weren't in country, the wreck would have never taken place".

You can't argue with that logic.
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
          Sent the vid to a civil engineer friend who had worked all over the world. He laughed, and said "no matter where you go in the world, if you are an American - you are at fault - because if you weren't in country, the wreck would have never taken place".

You can't argue with that logic.
          Doesn't matter what your nationality is, you're always the one at fault.

I've put about 30,000 kilometres on rented cars in the UK, France, Spain, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Austria and Greece. I've never had a problem although I did get some cautionary tales about driving in Greece. Tour books for most European countries usually have information about local traffic rules and regulations and some will even give you tips on what to look out for from other drivers. Best advice is "when in Rome, do as the Romans do". For instance, if you drive in the left lane on the autobahn or autostrada, be prepared to do at least 200 kph. Someone will sit right on your bumper flashing his headlights at you, otherwise (they don't honk). If you intend to stay in that lane, leave your left turn signal on until you exit the lane.

There are only two places I wouldn't like to drive in Europe, London and Paris. I did drive in Athens, only because the car rental agency was right downtown, and survived.

Terry

Comment

Have a friend that came here a few years ago from Russia. I asked him why such crazy drivers as I had seen on youtube and etc. He said that to make a claim on an insurance company it is necessary to have a video. Hence all the 'dash cameras'. That is why so many crashes get videoed in Russia....no video proof and the Russian insurance simply says you are without evidence. Glady also said that only in recent times [out with Commie regime and in with Capitalist system] have the people been able to have cars. Said that they have no history of dealing with the autos and driving them. He related that when he went to driver's training classes to get a license the 'teacher' simply announced near the end of the course that every student [entire class] must come up with a 'fee'. That is the only way that everyone in the class would pass the course! Graft is all over he said and accepted as normal and an everyday thing.

Comment

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHsEngineers might enjoy this one also!

Comment

Try again
                www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Comment

Believe it or not.... Last night on the Velocity Channel, the advertised that in the near future, they will be showing these on a regular basis........ but now you have to put up with commercials....

As an aside, it's hard to believe they are going to do this. Many of the ones you can view online HAVE to be deadly accidents, but you never see any gore. Some younger viewers might take these experiences as 'training films' and gauge their driving expertise to see how much they could get away with. I'll be surprised if Velocity doesn't get any pushback from at least a few states or organizations.....
                  64 GT Hawk (K7)
                  1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Don't know which I like better, this or the ralleye footage?

Comment

64V-K7

Yes, the link posted is pretty tame; Like U.S. TV, that video didn't show the gore. Have been aware of these Russian crash videos for a few years and can attest that I have run into some that are very vivid and pull no punches. One memorable scene was a truck hauling logs losing the entire load on top of a few luckless pedestrians.

Comment

i recall seeing 2 films in Driver's Ed before we did anything else - one was called "Red Asphalt", can't remember the name of the other one. i think they were filmed in the late 40's but were in color. it was graphic for that time (1969). one of the "girls" in the class threw up and many others just looked away...

i don't care for these type of shows and won't be watching. it also reminds me of the "Faces of Death" video tapes from the 80's. i never rented/watched those either. saw enough death dealing with traffic collisions when i was a "cop"...
                        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
                          i recall seeing 2 films in Driver's Ed before we did anything else - one was called "Red Asphalt", can't remember the name of the other one.
                          Signal 30 perhaps?
                          sigpic
                          Dave Lester

Comment

That was awesome. The last crash was the most amazing- threw the guy right out of the truck and his jacket, standing there wondering WTF LOL
                            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                            Romans 15:13
                            Deuteronomy 31:6
                            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I was diggin' the tune too much, and missed it- which one of those trucks was a Studebaker?

StudeDave '57
                              StudeDave '57
                              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                              SDC Member since 1985

past President
                              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                              San Diego Chapter SDC
                              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment