Shunned Styling.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shunned Styling.

Along with the articles about our favorite car, there's a story about Graham/Page, and how their wonderful "Shark Nose" styling was shunned by the buying public. The worst case was probably the Chrysler Airflow, and after that they made lumpy, utilitarian cars until 1955. I wonder how many prospective buyers were put off by the '47-49 and especially the Bullet Nose's looks? Many, I'll bet.
    peter lee

The 50 Bullet nose was Studebakers highest production year ever.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
      The 50 Bullet nose was Studebakers highest production year ever.
      That's correct, I do not think that the "Different" '50 and '51 Bullet Nose Studes. fit into the poster's comparisons at all.

Now what DOES fit in is the '53 and '54's sadly, they were "Shunned", Coupes, Hardtops and more so Sedans.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

To be honest, I did not like the bullet nose style when I was young. I was really partial to the '53-'55 body style. That being said, I currently own a '50 bullet nose and love it. Our tastes change over time I guess. It is hard to argue with the numbers. The 1950 cars sold as fast as Studebaker could make them. The Hemmings article does illustrate how oddly fickle consumer taste can be, however.
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Interesting -- the reason the "Sharknose" and Airflow were "shunned" (I actually like both) was probably that their designs were just too out there, for the austere, post-Depression mid to late 1930s. By the time the bulletnose Stude showed up, I think the buying public was more receptive to unique designs, partly due to the not-so-subtle resemblance to WWII warbirds...
          sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
          Regal Deluxe Trim
          Automatic transmission
          46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

When I was in the real estate business in the Atlanta are from the mid-sixties to the mid-seventies, There was a builder who insisted on building way-out contemporary houses. The kind a friend's wife said looked like a "Wrecked airplane." I tried to get him to tone it down, but he said, "People just have no tase." My reply to him was that it might be true, but could he afford to educate them. People would 'Ooh and Ah" over the contemporary houses, and then buy traditional houses in golds and greens.
            The same thing is true about cars. After WWII, it was the independents who initiated all new styling while the big companies stayed with familiar styles.

Comment

I don't think styling had much to do with it. My dad always talked about the post war shortages of consumer goods. There was no dickering and there were more buyers than units available. Everything sold for the list price and it was not unusual to have "pay extra" to the sales people to get your order filled quicker. This applied to appliances as well.

Bob
              Bob
              Welland Ontario
              60 Lark Convertible
              64 Daytona
              sigpic
              "They were meant to be driven ... so keep on cruizin"

Comment

The full size 1962 Dodge Darts and the Plymouth Furies had unusual styling at the time. They had To Rush the true full size Dodge Custom 880 to the market to save the day for Dodge!

Comment

Working...
                X