Champion Engine Compartment Details, The Studebaker Century Page 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champion Engine Compartment Details, The Studebaker Century Page 7

Can someone tell me the year (47, 48 , or 49) of the Champion body drop on page 7 of "The Studebaker Century" by Asa Hall and Richard Langworth?
    Notice the horns are mounted opposite from what I've seen on 1950 and later firewalls. My trumpets are closer together.
    Also notice the metal tag on the Autolite voltage regulator. Does anyone know when the tag was dropped? My 1950 just has embossed letters.
    What are those white objects seen through the passenger door glass?
    What is that straight white line from the guy's shoulder to the air cleaner?
    Thanks, and too bad that picture wasn't in color.

Are there any books that list finishes for engine compartment parts?
    Right now, I'm wondering about the 3 bolts and nuts used to mount the generator on my 1950 Champion. Were they painted, raven, cad, or unfinished?

Comment

can you post pics taken from the book? i don't have it. my '51 shop manual just have illustrations.

and it doesn't look like i can help much on the "correct" bolts, etc. the generator on my '51 have different bolts - one appears to be "cad", the 2 others are "unfinished".

nothing on the voltage regulator except the stamped (right to left) "ARM FLO BAT"...

don't have horns either (yet), and not sure if the '51 Champion is the same as the '50.

maybe this will help as a bump and someone that knows will chime in. both '50 and '51.
      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Kerry, are you sure your car is missing the horns? '51's had them below the hood latch panel.

The caption in the book says it's a '47. Here's a scan of it.

Comment

My scanner isn't that great. Here's a close up picture.

Comment

Matthew, i had that area apart when i took the "bullet nose" out this spring. i'll check it again - wasn't really looking for them!
            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Does anyone know when Studebaker changed from a 5/8" fan belt to a 1/2" belt?

Also, what is the belt size (length) for a 1950 Champion? I haven't seen it listed anywhere. Thanks, Tom
              Last edited by TWChamp; 07-04-2015, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Neither Pic of the Horn is very good, but I think it may be a cheapy, with only the Right side Horn, and it is not a Trumpet just a Standard Horn.

You are not ever going to find Painted mounting Bolts unless it's a bit of overspray, they were usually bare and sometimes plated.

The Door Glass is rolled down, so the light streaks are reflections of light on the Trunk wall since there are no seats.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                X