Watching the world pass me by...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watching the world pass me by...

I saw a comment in another thread about how one, 'shouldn't sit still and let the world pass on by.' Hmmm... Let's see now... I drive (when she deigns to run, then more importantly: stop) a fifty-nine year old stationwagon, a fifty-five year old pickup and a one hundred twenty year old Phaeton. Uh yeah, cutting-edge stuff that. Click image for larger version

Name:	emo30.gif
Views:	11
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	1746128
    After spending fifteen years in state-of-the-art data processing centres and spending most of my spare time in school to keep my 'edge' (in order to also keep employed), I'm tired of the race to keep up. Thanks, I'll just sit here on my porch and watch the race go by and pull over in the Wagon, Pickup, and Phaeton to let all those fools zoom by in the latest and greatest.

Facebook is okay for what it is. They've even provided the ability to edit one's post there. However, I prefer this kind of venue. The Moderators who keep things civil are important and most of the time stay graciously out of sight. So this kind of site is generally safe and enjoyable to visit.

What I'm trying to say here is simply, thanks.
    Thanks to the people who keep this all up and running.
    Thanks to the people who keep us civil.
    Thanks to the people who have been kind enough to patiently answer questions from someone who didn't used to know one end of a wrench (spanner) from the other.
    Thanks to the people who contribute interesting historical stuff.
    Thanks for the great conversations.
    And thanks for at least acting like friends from time to time. People who don't make (well, not too much anyway) fun of me when I call things funny names, like torch for a flashlight or bumper-chute for an umbrella.
    People who encourage when these old cars are frustrating and stubbornly not running.Click image for larger version

Name:	emo10.gif
Views:	17
Size:	1.5 KB
ID:	1746131Click image for larger version

Name:	emo11.gif
Views:	1
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	1746132
    I do hope you all are able to enjoy your Studebakers this week! Weather they deign to run or not.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	emo3.gif
Views:	83
Size:	1,001 Bytes
ID:	1746133
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

After reading your thoughtful message, I came to the conclusion that you, like me, came to the conclusion that work is over rated. I'm retired 16 years and enjoy watching the world go by. Actually, my wife and I take classes at the local university near us. Not for a degree, I did all that long ago, but to learn stuff I never had time to learn.
    Rog
    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
    Smithtown,NY
    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I was the one who made the comment, but the fact that most of us older guys can't keep up with technology, me included.
      101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

I still have a ways to go before I retire. But at age 49 I think about it more than even a couple of years ago. I am still in the rat race and I look forward to the day I can slow down and do the things I want to do instead of the things I have to do.

great post!!
        1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Bumper-chute?

(Even bumbershoot has been questioned)

In my recent Slate article about Americans using more Britishisms, I wondered aloud, "Why have we adopted laddish while we didn't adopt telly or...
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The most enjoyable time, after I retired, is taking my wife's '50 Starlight Coupe on Sunday cruises.
            This allows us to literally watch the world go by.............Tooo much fun...................

Comment

Who knew they talked like THAT in California???

Comment

I just turned 65 and will probably need to work at least another 5 years for financial reasons (bummer). I am already biting at the bit. I made the choice several years ago to start easing off the merry-go-round. That was one of the reasons for going back to driving Studebakers. I also play with model trains and like to work with wood in my shop. All of these things will get more of my attention when I retire. I can't wait.
                I would like to echo Ron's sentiments regarding this Forum and the Studebaker community in general. I have made more lasting friendships since I joined SDC then in the previous 45 years or so. What I gain from coming to this Forum is invaluable to me. Even when the discussion gets a little rowdy at times.
                There, now I can start my day at work. Hmmm.
                Ed Sallia
                Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Working...
                X