PDA

View Full Version : Halibrand replica wheels have arrived, ready to ship.

MARC212
01-12-2015, 09:39 PM
I have heard from Pat Obrien at Real Rodders that the long promised Halibrand wheels, as offered as a dealer installed option for Avantis and other Studebakers, have arrived at his store. Visit his web site: http://www.realrodderswheels.biz/ or Google Real Rodders Wheels to learn more about these wheels. The wheels are 15X6, as suggested by Jon Myers. Jon will be offering the spinners. These are exact replicas and are correct in every way.

PlainBrownR2
01-12-2015, 09:55 PM
That's great!

A couple of questions though.......We are trying to figure out the spinners. Do the spinners come with the wheel, or do we have to purchase them separately? If they're separate, what's the cost of the spinners? :cool:

StudeRich
01-13-2015, 12:48 AM
You can bet if: "Jon will be offering the spinners." It is a separate transaction for separate money, from Pat O'Brian's Wheel deal.

Xcalibur
01-13-2015, 12:57 AM
Weight, please?

PlainBrownR2
01-13-2015, 01:15 AM
You can bet if: "Jon will be offering the spinners." It is a separate transaction for separate money, from Pat O'Brian's Wheel deal.

That doesn't help me very much. I saw the website. The website says that they have them starting at "349.00 plus spinners". Is that 349.00 including the spinners, or is that 349.00 with separate purchase of the spinners? I'd like to purchase a set, but I need to know if I'm going to get a rim with a spinner included, or a rim with a hole in the center where the spinner should be? :cool:

ndynis
01-13-2015, 07:09 AM
Jon's web site isn't much help.

MARC212
01-13-2015, 07:30 AM
Best to contact Jon directly. The spinners are a separate deal. Since Jon already had made spinners he is having a new batch cast. I think you can e-mail Pat Obrien directly for information regarding the spinners, weight of the wheels, etc. patobrien@realrodderswheels.com or just give him a call, 805-402-2212.

I really have looked and there is nothing as nice or correct as these wheels.

Mike Van Veghten
01-13-2015, 07:41 AM
Spinners............????????????? What ?

"Knockoffs" is the correct term..! As in, "hit them with a hammer" to tighten and loosen the wheel...! NOT "low rider" stuff.
Spinners...funny !

As for the weight...what (?)...they are aluminum, castings. You aren't racing and are are worried about a little weight either way. You are (or not) buying them for the "look".

By the way this is the same design that was used on many cars in the 50's, not just Stude.

Mike

P.s. - And yes, I fully understand that these knockoffs don't actually hold the wheels on the car...

clonelark
01-13-2015, 07:43 AM
Also how do the spinners or Knock off's mount? Bolt on? Threaded?

bezhawk
01-13-2015, 09:51 AM
Originally the "spinners were grooved with an O ring . Later wheels had a set screw.
Do these wheels come with lug nuts and washers?

PlainBrownR2
01-13-2015, 02:50 PM
Thanks, that's what I was looking for. Yeah, we've done alot of business with Jon over the years, and we're in no hurry, so we can probably bug him on the wheels and spinners, knockoffs, center caps, dust covers, doodads that cover the bearings, or whathaveyou in May. :cool:

(I never did say I was PC on these here things, lol :rolleyes:)

SScopelli
01-13-2015, 03:13 PM
I'm assuming they will work with the stock or Turner like front disc brakes?

Fairmontcr7
01-13-2015, 08:26 PM
I just bought and picked up the very first set of Halibrands sold: they arrived this afternoon at Real Rodders, and I live close to Ventura so I could see them first hand. Pat was very helpful and a nice guy.

They are truly beautiful! Virtually flawless, and the powder coating is on both sides plus inside the rim. They will be going on my '64 Daytona Hardtop. BFG radial redlines are on their way from Coker Tire, should be here soon since they have a big warehouse in nearby City Of Industry, CA.

I paid $1876.00 (with CA sales tax) for a set of 5, which I think is reasonable for what I'm getting, plus they are 100% American made, just like the car they're going on.

The knock-offs are sold exclusively by Myer's, but they won't have any for about a month. I pre-ordered a set. Pat had one to show me: its a friction fit in to the center of the wheel, with an o-ring to hold it in place. It's a tight fit without the o-ring: the idea was better a skosh tight than too loose. The powdercoating extends into the center hole, so a bit of that can be removed if required. Jon Myers will be getting a set right away to use for the precise dimensions for the knock-offs. Pat has the lug nuts coming in tomorrow.

According to my bathroom scale they weigh 17 lbs.

I am also fitting a Turner brake kit, so we'll see how much clearance they need shortly.

These are just so cool! Does anyone know the fellow who put up the front money for the production? I'd like to thank him.

Fairmontcr7
01-13-2015, 08:30 PM
Pat will have a set on display at the Grand National Roadster Show in Pomona at the end of the month.