Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this C/K steering wheel original or modified???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this C/K steering wheel original or modified???

I have had these 53 style C/K steering wheels for a long time. I have never seen one like the grey one which has two spokes and not three. I do not see this style in the parts book, I only see the black one with 53-56 upper level trim options. Just because I never saw one does not mean there are a lot of them out there. I have looked at the grey one thinking maybe someone modified it but if they did so, they did a real nice job as I cannot easily tell it. There is some minor indentation on the grey one where the third spoke would be, but not enough to beem out to me that it was modified. I really never thought about maybe someone modified it till I could not find a reference for it in the parts book when I was trying to determine the application as I always just assumed it came that way.

Anyone ever see one like the grey one??

Thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0202.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	1746117
    Last edited by unclemiltie; 01-12-2015, 11:01 AM. Reason: picture did not appear
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Nope, have not seen one like that. It does not look like the 2 spoke wheel that was used in the base trim cars at all. On those the 2 spokes angle downward and are wider near the hub. I do think it is a 3 spoke wheel regal with the spoke cut off. That notch for the 1/2 horn ring is a give away. No reason that notch would be there unless a 3 spoke horn ring goes there.

Assuming it is modified, I wonder that they used for the center?

Jeff in ND

Comment

A 1953 Champion Regal had three spokes with horn ring. A 1953 Champion Deluxe had two spokes with horn button. A 1954 Champion Deluxe had three spokes with horn button (still no ring).
      With that said, the 1953 two spoke wheel did not have the two spokes in a straight line across from each other (as your pictured wheel has).
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Along with my Studebaker horn button/medallion collection, it was sorta natural to accumulate horn rings (and wings - as with the Avanti) to compliment my display (I hope Bob Andrews will approve). And too, I've had most styles of 50s era wheels (Stude, of course) in my hands at one time or another. This two-spoke wheel - with a notch that one might conclude was for a third leg of a horn ring - has to have been modified OR it's a prototype. Given the engineering dept. escapees we've been lucky enough to see from time to time, it's not inconceivable at all that that is what you've got. So - any idea where you acquired this mystery wheel?
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
          So - any idea where you acquired this mystery wheel?

I got it from a local member whom was disposing of all of his Studebaker parts due to failing health. He was a C/K and Avanti guy. I have no idea where he got it or how long he had it.
          Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
          1961 Hawk 4-speed
          1967 Avanti
          1961 Lark 2 door
          1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

I vote for the grey one being a modified wheel.....By the way, the black one would probably not be an exact fit for a '55, as it doesn't look to me like it has upper 'cutouts' for the full circle horn ring.

Comment

Here's what the two spoke Deluxe wheel looks like:

Dave Nevin
              Corvallis, OR
              1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
              Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Working...
              X