PDA

View Full Version : 1975 Pic of Champ pulling House Boat! Whose Champ?

50starlite
01-09-2015, 02:53 PM
I'm cleaning out old slides and making jpgs and ran across this Pic. This appears to be quite a load for the truck. Anybody know this truck? There can't be too many out there that can pull a house boat.

60Champ
01-09-2015, 03:17 PM
Great picture. I've pulled our 1976 Yukon Delta 26.5' trailerable houseboat with our 60 5E12 Champ but it was underpowered on the hills and with no control for the electric trailer brakes not the best situation. Now I use a 3/4 Suburban. Yukon Delta's were made in Elkhart. Trailer is manufactured from a frame for a mobile home.

Dean

studeclunker
01-09-2015, 04:18 PM
Well, judging by that hood being up, I would judge the driver is meditating on the error of his ways. I do (did) love that Chocolate brown metalflake!

DieselJim
01-09-2015, 08:27 PM
I'm cleaning out old slides and making jpgs and ran across this Pic. This appears to be quite a load for the truck. Anybody know this truck? There can't be too many out there that can pull a house boat.

Memory's. I delivered those house boats all over the USA. From Turlock Ca. to Long Island, Canadian border to Florida. The Champ was purchased new by the Grand Trunk Railroad. 6 Cyl, 3 speed. I put a 289, T85 od trans. Left the Dana 44- 4;10 gear. Would run along at 60-65 with a trailer getting 10 mpg. Heading back to Elkhart to 75, would get 15 mpg. Was wired for electric brakes. After 100,000 miles, the engine was tired. Bright idea. Get a 383 Plymouth engine. Wrong. Mileage was 5 pulling and 10 heading home. Got about a block further up a hill before down shifting. Can't beat the Studebaker engine. Color was Cinnamon Polly. A 72 Chrysler .

studeclunker
01-11-2015, 03:38 PM
So... what happened to it? Judging by how hard the truck worked, not a happy ending?

DieselJim
01-11-2015, 06:25 PM
So... what Judging by how hard the truck worked, not a happy ending?
happened to it?
Sold it to my cousin who used in his janitorial business a few years. My son James bought it about 1981. Drove it a couple of years. Sold it to his brother-inlaw. He moved to Fort Wayne. Got a letter that it was being sold out of impound. Heard the person that bought it for the engine. In the picture, the person in red striped is me checking the oil.

55 56 PREZ 4D
01-12-2015, 12:59 PM
How crazy is this !
Post a picture taken 40 years ago and within hours,,,,
Man, The love of Studebakers runs deep and lasts for ever.
Joe Dirt had a picture and it took him years and years.

StudeRich
01-12-2015, 04:38 PM
Wait a minute Jim, do you mean to say that it's your Truck when you owned it, and you under the hood and Dick just happened to be there and get the Pic of you and two of somebody's Family?
Now THAT"S a serious coincidence to find this Pic after 40 Years! :ohmy:

Maybe it's a smaller World than we thought!

DieselJim
01-12-2015, 10:13 PM
Wait a minute Jim, do you mean to say that it's your Truck when you owned it, and you under the hood and Dick just happened to be there and get the Pic of you and two of somebody's Family?
Now THAT"S a serious coincidence to find this Pic after 40 Years! :ohmy:

Maybe it's a smaller World than we thought!
Yes, that was my truck. That was in the first few months pulling house boats. Later pictures it would dual CB antenna, a shorter cap with wood grain on the side, and 2 fuel tank fills. Don't know where the picture was taken. Did have family in Pleasant Plains,Ak. that we would visit when passing through. Dick had moved from Lakeville In. to Ak. a few years earlier.

DieselJim
01-13-2015, 05:21 PM
After looking at the picture on a desk top, the boy by the person taking a picture is our son, James. On the form as R2 Lark Clone.