The Timeless Beauty of the 1953 Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Timeless Beauty of the 1953 Studebaker

Even today the 1953 Studebaker looks like a modern car, only much better. I can't think of any other old car that still looks modern. Studebaker really hit the target with this one, and should have wiped the "big 3" right off the map! Click image for larger version

Name:	SM75.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	1746093Click image for larger version

Name:	SM74.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	1746094This is my dream car, but I expect I will never find one that I could afford. Except for my 63 Lark, my newest Studebaker is 1952, so I'm not real familure with the 53 and newer, and what changes took place each year. Recently I read that the 54 had several improvements over the 53, and I was wondering what changed? The slight change in the grill was the only obvious thing I noticed. Thanks

Three pages of '53's here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ighlight=nikon

Craig

Comment

Thanks Craig. Lots of beautiful Studes, but still no answer to my question about the changes made to the 54 that is supposed to made them better.
      Did they change gear ratios, brakes, trannys, engines, etc.?

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
        Thanks Craig. Lots of beautiful Studes, but still no answer to my question about the changes made to the 54 that is supposed to made them better.
        Did they change gear ratios, brakes, trannys, engines, etc.?
        Stronger frame and improved brakes are often cited. Instrument panel changed, but improvement is in the eye of the beholder. Driving train unchanged, I believe. Others can chime in on other changes.
        Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
        jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

Even today the 1953 Studebaker looks like a modern car, only much better. I can't think of any other old car that still looks modern. Studebaker really hit the target with this one, and should have wiped the "big 3" right off the map! [ATTACH=CONFIG]40395[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]40396[/ATTACH]This is my dream car, but I expect I will never find one that I could afford. Except for my 63 Lark, my newest Studebaker is 1952, so I'm not real familure with the 53 and newer, and what changes took place each year. Recently I read that the 54 had several improvements over the 53, and I was wondering what changed? The slight change in the grill was the only obvious thing I noticed. Thanks
          Is the Starliner "6" cyl. the one you really like or do you just like the 53's? I have a nice rust free 53 commander coupe for sale, it has been off the road for a number of years and have not tried to start it , even the paint is nice in red, the interior needs every thing.
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

I certainly agree about the beauty of the '53 I would submit that the Avanti holds up well also, still looks modern. I know that the Avanti does not have universal recognition as a beautiful car but it does in the eye of this beholder.
            Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
            50 Champion 2 door*
            53 Commander K Auto*
            53 Commander K overdrive*
            55 President Speedster
            62 GT 4Speed*
            63 Avanti R1*
            64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

I love Avantis too, but nothing built for mass sales comes close to the timeless beauty of the 53. There is not a line drawn wrong on it.
              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Amen! Beautiful car! Always comes up when timeless styling conversations are brought up around the garage.
                sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Agree, from the side and 3/4-view, they are classics and still look contemporary.

Only when following one down the highway do the Avanti and the C/K look antique when mixed in today's traffic. They're much narrower than the later wide-track sedans and much more delicate than the obese SUV/Suburban/Expedition road hogs everywhere today.

Way OT, but I recently heard a soccer mom brag about choosing one of those 6,000# leviathans, "If there's an accident, I want my family to be in the tallest, heaviest car."

jack vines
                  Last edited by PackardV8; 01-08-2015, 10:48 AM.
                  PackardV8

Comment

Differences I know of between the '53 and the '54 C-K's.

A crossmember under the frame from the outside of the cowl on one side all the way to the other side of the cowl.
                    Bigger brakes.
                    Different instrument panel (a downgrade in my opinion).
                    Different grill bars (another downgrade).
                    Different tail lights.
                    Different trunk lift handle.
                    Different trunk lid inner structure. I may be wrong about this one, it may have changed in '55.

Get the book, 'Studebaker's Finest" by John Bridges. It's a wealth of information about the C-K bodies. Mostly about the '53's since that's what he restored and did all the research about.
                    Jerry Forrester
                    Forrester's Chrome
                    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Also (to add to Jerry's list), the front bumperettes grew in size from the neat little ones used in 1953 (C/K) to large conventional ones used in 1954.

EDIT: The rear seat center section went from a "hidden" storage compartment to a removable arm rest.
                      Last edited by studegary; 01-08-2015, 12:36 PM.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                        EDIT: The rear seat center section went from a "hidden" storage compartment to a removable arm rest.
                        Yeah, another downgrade.
                        Jerry Forrester
                        Forrester's Chrome
                        Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Candbstudebakers, I have no room now, and the dentist just wiped out my bank account. 5 grand for sitting in his chair for 4 hours. A V8 would be OK, but that white Champ is really my dream car. I like the flathead 6. Wonder if the Studebaker Museum would trade cars with me? LOL

PackardV8, you sure have that right about the battleships traveling the highways today. What a waste to haul 3 tons of metal down the highway to go shopping, or drive to work. If they want to be the heaviest and do the most damage during an accident, they need to buy a dump truck. Buy smaller and drive better would be a smarter way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                            Also (to add to Jerry's list), the front bumperettes grew in size from the neat little ones used in 1953 (C/K) to large conventional ones used in 1954.
                            ADD this to your authenticity list. Hamilton-assembled cars continued to use the 'neat little ones' for 1954. For confirmation, check out the full-page black & white photo of the '54's coming off the line in The Studebaker Century

Craig

Comment

Even today the 1953 Studebaker looks like a modern car, only much better. I can't think of any other old car that still looks modern. Studebaker really hit the target with this one, and should have wiped the "big 3" right off the map! [ATTACH=CONFIG]40395[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]40396[/ATTACH]This is my dream car, but I expect I will never find one that I could afford. Except for my 63 Lark, my newest Studebaker is 1952, so I'm not real familure with the 53 and newer, and what changes took place each year. Recently I read that the 54 had several improvements over the 53, and I was wondering what changed? The slight change in the grill was the only obvious thing I noticed. Thanks
                              The '54 grille change is considered a negative. The two improvements of consequence were the much improved self-energizing brakes, and the bolt-on 'batwing' crossmember which provided MUCH needed support to the 'A' pillar area of the C/K body.

PS---Remember, beware of trying to install a '56J ONLY' ('56 Golden Hawk) batwing crossmember in any other '53-'64 C/K model!

Comment

Working...
                              X