found an old pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• found an old pickup

I'm not sure what year this is. I first saw it in a neighbor's front yard on a trailer. Had I known he was taking it to the junkyard, I would have diverted him to myself. Anyway, things are a touch muddled up though I have hopes not too very much. The poor old thing has been pretty much picked over. Still there's a good bed which i need for my current truck. Looks like some other decent bits left as well. Here's some pics:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	1746087Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0003.jpg
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	1746088Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0002.jpg
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	1746089Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0004.jpg
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	1746090Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0006.jpg
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	1746091Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0005.jpg
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	1746092

It isn't visible in pic 3, but there's some Edwardian script on the left rear of the bed. It has a company name that is too faint for me to make out and under it San Jose, Ca. So I know at least one place the truck has resided. Can't get the Driver's door open at present, so no numbers off it. It's a decent enough bed, though the inside has a bad case of surface rust, it still seems sound. I believe this is one that will go with my Champ isn't it? Guess I'll have a shortie for a trailer then.

Last edited by studeclunker; 01-07-2015, 07:50 PM.
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Small rear window with a two Piece Windshield indicates a '49-'53 2R Series Truck.
    Only the Serial Number tells you what year and it does not matter, they're basically the same.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

yes, but is the bed compatible with my '60 Champ?
      Ron Smith

Comment

Not really, the P1 Bed changed width from 49" in '55 to 51" in '56 and on.

Could it be made to work? Probably.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Front fenders of these trucks should always be saved--if savable.
          Driver side door looks good. Always save those.
          Front bumper might be good enough to save.
          Steering wheel looks salvageable.
          You may not need them, but someone will.
          KURTRUK
          (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

I could use the doors if not rusted at the bottom.
            101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Don't let em crush it. The fenders and doors are definately worth saving... If in middle TN, I'd grab it strip that stuff, and it'd be in my attic...

Comment

Save the steering gear box.
                Bo

Comment

To expand on Rich's response, the bed is too narrow by 2+ inches to fit a T-cab truck or the wider rear axle adopted in 1956. So some mods would have to be made.

And (since no one has commented on it yet) the instrument cluster (or what's left of it) is from a 56-59 truck. The speedometer (if it still has one) is hard to find and worth saving.
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

You junk trucks that solid in California? Here in Michigan we call it restorable if it still casts a shadow.

Comment

I'm putting one back together that wasn't a whole lot better....
                      It had a hood and grille and some other stuff, so it looked complete.
                      Till you looked inside and under the hood... Most was AWOL....
                      I made it a runner (engine/trans, brakes, etc, etc), then tore it apart and started over.

Hope to go to paint this spring.

Comment

I'm not the one who junked this truck. I'm trying to get it OUT of the junkyard! It sat for over twenty years in the current owner's pasture. Obviously used to get another truck (or two, or three...) going. However, if the bed won't work with my truck, I can't see through spending the money when it's so hard for me to come by. Sorry fellas, not CASO by choice here... This thing isn't even a roller.

If someone else would like to get this it is sitting at Bulldog Recycling on Viking road just outside Redding, Ca. The owner wants $150 for the truck, likely the scrap dealer won't want much more.
                        Ron Smith

Comment

Working...
                        X