Air cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air cleaner

I have a 1956 Studebaker Commander 289.Does anyone know if there is an air filter cartridge that would replace the oil bath that would fit in the original air cleaner housing?

I doubt that you could find one that would fit correctly in the original housing. If you want a dry filter, change the whole thing, housing and all.

I do not understand why you would want to do this. An oil bath (wet) filter works great if properly serviced. Also you do not have to worry about buying the correct dry elements for replacement down the road.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I think you could improvise, but you would have to open up some of the internal sheet metal so it would be able to breathe. Mine has some new holes in there that are not visible unless you take it apart. And I agree with Gary. The oil bath works fine.
      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

I didn't really want to change it.I was having trouble with oil leaking on to the top of the motor.Then I discovered there is supposed to be a gasket between the carburetor and the air cleaner.I ordered one from one place and they sent me the wrong thing.I then ordered one from Studebaker parts on line.I haven't gotten it yet.Hope it will work and solve the problem.

Comment

Stick with the oil bath air cleaner if you can. They are more efficient.
          Ed Sallia
          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by harveynorris View Post
            I didn't really want to change it.I was having trouble with oil leaking on to the top of the motor.Then I discovered there is supposed to be a gasket between the carburetor and the air cleaner.I ordered one from one place and they sent me the wrong thing.I then ordered one from Studebaker parts on line.I haven't gotten it yet.Hope it will work and solve the problem.
            To me, it sounds like the filter is either not level or it is overfilled (or both).
            The only way that gasket can help is to aid in holding the filter in the correct position.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Ditto what Gary said. There is a tiny little arrow down in the rounded part of the sump of the Bottom "Bowl" that points to the Oil level, it should NOT go above that arrow or the rounded part of the Bowl.

Also no thinner than 40 Wt. Oil was recommended.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 01-06-2015, 11:49 PM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thank all of you for your help.

Comment

Working...
                X