Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Among my souvenirs #176 (Truck Data Books 1931-1958)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Among my souvenirs #176 (Truck Data Books 1931-1958)

Click image for larger version

Name:	31 composite copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	1746058Click image for larger version

Name:	34 composite copy.jpg
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	1746059Click image for larger version

Name:	35 composite copy.jpg
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	1746060Click image for larger version

Name:	35 composite2 copy.jpg
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	1746061Click image for larger version

Name:	38 k series composite.jpg
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	1746062Click image for larger version

Name:	41 -48 M series copy.jpg
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	1746063Click image for larger version

Name:	49-53 R sereies copy.jpg
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	1746064Click image for larger version

Name:	55 composite copy.jpg
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	1746065Click image for larger version

Name:	56 2E composite copy.jpg
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	1746066Click image for larger version

Name:	57 composite copy.jpg
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	1746067
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Very nice collection. I was watching the Studebaker Truck Data book on ebay the other day. It sold for about $100 as I recall.

Comment

Yep, that was the R Series. It actually brought $101.99 plus $7 postage. Apparently it did not have any of the supplements of which there were several.
      Richard Quinn

Comment

Very nice collection, thanks for sharing
        Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
        1961 Hawk 4-speed
        1967 Avanti
        1961 Lark 2 door
        1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

There is a 1954 edition, dated February 15 of that year.

Craig

Comment

Yes, there is a 1954 3R edition. I have a spare in case you're interested in a trade.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Interesting that a 1955 Truck Data Book was published, but not a Shop Manual.
              Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Thanks for the info on the '54 book. I looked and did find that I had one, I am including it here. Had set it aside to scan for the Fred Fox article on this series in TW. Also found the 1931-33 book. Perhaps the biggest and best of all! It is also below along with 1958.

Name:	54 3R composite copy.jpg
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	1694981Click image for larger version

Name:	31-33 composite copy.jpg
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	1694982Click image for larger version

Name:	58 composite copy.jpg
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	1694983
                Richard Quinn

Comment

Richard: You mentioned in your initial post that the 1959 to 1964 truck data was also contained in the "Fact Books" for those years. There is indeed a truck section in my 1962 book but my 1963 binder (Gold - 8.5x11 3 ring) has a tab for trucks but no information contained. I've looked over a couple of others for that year and found the same situation. Also, I recall that Newman and Altman (Standard Surplus) had some 8E series binders similar sized to the 1962 Fact Book which contained just truck info and more detailed specs than the 1962 book I possess. Was there indeed a proper Truck section for the '63 binder or just the separate 8E series book?

Doug
                  1963 Canadian Lark VY-6 4E2-122 Deluxe Scotsman

Bognor, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Doug; I have owned 4-5 of the '63 gold covered passenger car data books and none contained a truck section so do not believe one was ever done.
                    Richard Quinn

Comment

The 1963-64 8E series had a dedicated 156 page Specifications Book with all the available engine & drive train combinations.

Craig

Comment

Two more addenda to the discussion of Truck Data and specification books:
                        (1) I also have a copy of the 63-64 8E specifications book that Craig posted. I think Newman & Altman had a supply of them for sale at one time.
                        (2) And even more down in the weeds: the company DID produce a 1959 4E series specification book, but apparently only for company use. It's page size, 8.5 x 11", and has about 150 pages (they're not all numbered consecutively), plus blue paper covers. The first page is a distribution letter from H.H. Heaton, Truck Spec. Engineer, to corporation executives dated 5-28-59, adding pages to an earlier version dated 2-18-59. Based on the indicated distribution, it looks like about 200 copies were printed. All went to Stude Corporation execs except a few to Edwards Iron Works, Stanley Body & Equipment, AT&T, and Timken Detroit Axle.

It's a type-written format similar to the 8E spec book above, but with a simple metal binder -- obviously NOT intended for wide distribution. It has a lot of very detailed info, far more than the level of detail usually provided in the books printed for dealer use. I have an extra copy in case someone is interested. It has about half original pages and half copies I made from my other copy. The covers are a bit worn, but it's complete.
                        Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks for that info. After seeing those I am fairly sure I have them. As Skip has indicated I do not believe either the '59 or '63-'64 were sent to dealers. I did find another, a '31, that I am including below.

Name:	composite.jpg
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	1695006
                          Richard Quinn

Comment

Well, if anyone has a "spare" '57 edition (or 3E series), I would be interested.
                            Mark Hayden
                            '66 Commander

Comment

I have the contents for the 57 book (which I want to keep) but sure would like to have the correct binder as shown in Richard's first post above.
                              Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                              X