Woodsmoke Grey Silver Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodsmoke Grey Silver Hawk

My wife and I are restoring a 1957 Silver Hawk. We have the birth certificate from the Studebaker Museum, and it lists the car as having been "Woodsmoke Grey". I have for several days looked on Google and Bing and the forum etc and I can only find a picture of a little plastic model in this color. It seems that it must have been rarely ordered... Does anyone have a few nice, big pictures of a Hawk in exactly this color, or any other Studebaker, for that matter? The car has been completely stripped, media blasted, and sealed, so none of the original color exists. We had a small amount mixed at the paint store so we could see it, but we'd really like to see what it looks like on the car. We wonder what colors the factory might have two-toned it with? Also, the original interior (still present), is a greasy, filthy mess, but we can see it was black vinyl on the seat tops, and some possibly grey and black cloth on the seating surfaces-- anyone have an interior like that? We love pictures, and we'd love to see some! Thanks for any help you might have. --Kenny and Kathy
    1950 Commander Land Cruiser
    1951 Champion Business Coupe
    1951 Commander Starlight
    1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
    1953 Champion Starlight
    1953 Commander Starliner
    1953 2R5
    1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
    1957 Silver Hawk
    1957 3E5 Pick-Up
    1959 Silver Hawk
    1961 Hawk
    1962 Cruiser 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Convertible
    1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
    1965 Cruiser
    1970 Avanti

Years ago a friend of mine used to part out Studebakers. In the 70's everyone wanted Hawk parts, so '56 - '58 sedans were often sacrificed for mechanical parts for Hawks.
    One day he bought a '57 President 2 door sedan - Woodsmoke Gray with white on the roof and rear fender sides. The paint was fairly good - it was a good looking car. I begged him not to part it out, but the reality was it wasn't worth anything as a complete running car, but represented a lot of value in the engine/transmission(automatic)/rear end, etc. to fix up a more valuable Hawk. To this day I feel bad about not buying it. It did make me recognize that Woodsmoke Gray was not common - but it sure was pretty!

Comment

My '57 Parkview was originally Woodsmoke Grey and white. My Father (StudeRich) has a scan of some old photos, but I do not know if they will show the color as well as you would like. Maybe he'll post a few sometime soon? In the meantime- when I get 'home' in a few days I'll see what I can do to get some photos of a door jam and/or the spare tire well. Those are about the only places I believe any of the original paint still lives...

Your Production order ought to tell you what color the car was painted- and if it was two toned or not. I *think* I have the color combos at home as well- I'll have to have a look. I seem to remember the colors being available with Woodsmoke grey were the two other greys, black, and white. But there may have been others...?
      StudeDave '57
      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
      SDC Member since 1985

past President
      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
      San Diego Chapter SDC
      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

One more thing-

It is hard to tell for sure, but 'LuckyDog' has a Commander that might be Woodsmoke grey~

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...604#post892604

Check out post number six.

StudeDave '57
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Here's the color on a paint chart. Can be enlarged: http://raylinrestoration.com/Stuff/P...Colors-F-T.jpg

Comment

Its hard to tell from paint chips but I had a chance to buy a grey and white silver Hawk from a guy in Spokane about 20 years ago and it seems to me it was a much softer grey than the wood smoke shown on the chip. It was beautiful and I regret to this day I didn't buy it.

Comment

'57 Studebaker Woodsmoke Gray was a "Poly" or Metallic Color so the amount of Sunlight or just light, and angle will have an affect on how it looks.

The Main Body Color of P-5715 (Dupont Dulux Enamel #2561) or (Ditzler {PPG} DQE-31533-DAL) Woodsmoke Gray Poly was only available for Two Tones with Artic White Trim Color or Midnight Black.

You are correct, the Color Chips definitely do not do it justice.

Here are a few Pics of LuckyDog's original Commander 4 Door.

Click image for larger version

Name:	57 Woodsmoke Gray 4 dr.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1694988 Click image for larger version

Name:	57 Woodsmoke Gray 4 dr2.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	1694989 Click image for larger version

Name:	57 Woodsmoke Gray 4 dr3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	1694990 Very few Silver Hawks were ordered in this color, most were Artic White with Apache Red, Azure Blue (dark), Wedgewood Blue (light), Tiara Gold or Midnight Black secondary Color.
              I happen to prefer the Dealer Two Tones that were Artic with the same colors as Factory Two Tone, but in only the Fin, very classy and show off the '57 Fin look very well.

Here is a very correct looking '57 Champion 6 from eBay:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Champion 4 Dr Gray_White2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	1694991 Click image for larger version

Name:	Champion 4 Dr Gray_White2a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1694992 Sedans and Wagons were way more common in Woodsmoke.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 01-05-2015, 09:11 PM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
              X