Dash Swap Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Dash Swap Issue

Just set a 64 Lark dash into my 63 Lark and ran into an issue with the steering rod alignment in the instrument panel. Without the column installed the rod is all the drivers side of the opening. I have ran into this before on dash changes but not to this extent. I checked the shop manual and see no mention of procedure for adjusting this, but I am sure they never envisioned dash swaps! The car only has 61,000 miles on it and had never been apart as far as I could tell before I started on it. Unfortunately the dash was cooked beyond repair. I may have to shim between the frame and steering box to shift it over, but am wondering if there any other ideas for adjusting this? Thanks!

I think you are going to find that when the Column Jacket is all buttoned up everything will be fine, the only thing that normally needs adjustment is the dash frame to Jacket shims for height only.
    I have had '63 Larks with '64 Dashes and do not remember any Left/Right clearance issues.

If your steering box always was positioned wrong, or was loose, that may be all it is. Just check it.

The Speedometer may need a '64 Cable if you leave it in the Center hole.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Agree with Rich. I installed a '66 dash in my '63 Cruiser and the only issue was clearance of the heater valve/glovebox and the relocation of the speedo cable.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks for the feedback! I went back out to the shop and measured the dash from the left edge to the center of the column opening and they appear to virtually the same. I then rotated the front wheels side to side to make sure nothing changed as to eliminate the possibility of a bent steering rod, that was good. So I am guessing it is just a result of everything being loose. I also noticed that it did not take much to create some wiggle room as I messed around with it. I only had 1 washer between the steering box and the frame, I believe that is all they ever had, but I am going to look at another 63 a friend has and confirm how his is put together in case I did re-assemble this one wrong, although I did take before and during pictures, so I should have it back just like it came apart! I know famous last words!

I used the 63 instrument cluster so that all stayed the same, there are some differences in the dash frames between the 2, I will to make some mounting modifications for the emergency brake handle and some of the wiring harness components that do not have a home on the 64 frame, but no bid deal. The bottom of the 64 pad that is held in place with a screw on either side of the steering column has no place to put screws into on the 63 cluster, so I will make a pair of little brackets to hold them.

I am eliminating the heater valve and doing an under the hood manual valve. I have had too many valve failures and do not like dumping anti-freeze on the passengers toes! Oh, and anti-freeze soaked carpet is nasty!

Again thanks for the insight, I have changed a lot of dashes in 64-66 cars, but this was my first go around putting a 64-66 dash in a 63, in fact this is the first 63 I have ever re-done, having been a die-hard 64 guy for years!

Gene

Comment

You sure did it the hard way Gene, I always just take the complete '64 Dash, Harness and all and pop it in the other Car, changing the Gauge face Plates etc. will get dicey. Good luck figuring that out.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

.....you can also adjust the dash by the mountings on the far sides some fore/aft, and some side to side. If that doesn't fix your steering column alignment, you need to loosen the steering gear-to-frame bolts and adjust with shims if necessary.....

Comment

StudeRich-

It was not bad. You can pull the entire intsturment panel out in one piece with everything attached and just transfer it over, wiring and all. It comes out with about 5 screws. I did completely dis-assemble the entire unit though for re-finishing and cleaning, I even pulled the glass out of the speedo, blank, and intsterment cluster for cleaning and detailing.

In the case of my 64 dash, the intsterment panel was already pulled and gone long before I got it, so that was not an option. All of the 64/65/66 parts cars I have access too were in pretty bad shape so it made sense to use the 63 Insturment panel and gauges, plus I lake the black faces better than 64 green!

It is a good winter project, heat up the shop lay under a dash for a day!

Thanks!

Gene
              Last edited by GeneC; 01-05-2015, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Just went through the parts book and see that their are actually 3 different shims used between the steering box and frame. 1/8", 1/16" & 1/32" and they are listed as 1 each. I bet I have them in the wrong spots based on the geometry. I will have to take things back apart and check them. At least I still have the engine out, so it is easy to get to!

Comment

Working...
                X