Those sure were the days!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those sure were the days!

The following ad copied verbatim from the March, 1972 SDC Bulletin.....FOR SALE: R-4 carburetion assembly kits--includes R4 dual quad aluminum intake manifold, 3810S and 3811S AFB front and rear carbs, intake and carburetor base gaskets, fuel lines, fittings, fuel filter and linkage. PRICE--$175.00 (For original R4 air cleaner assy, add $25.00... STU-V Products Co. (Fairly reasonable prices I would say!)

We had a discussion here http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...from-the-1970s about the Stu-V and R4 pricing a couple of weeks ago. $200 in 1972 is $1,129.91 today.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

1972...I remember it well. The year my son was born.My bring home pay was around $100.per week. I took a big step and bought a new Winchester Rifle for $50. Planned to give it to the boy when he got old enough to handle it.
      When he got older,he didn't want an OLD Rifle. he wanted a pistol.So for his 18th birthday I ordered a .22 6 shooter from Western Auto,and kept the rifle.

The next year, 1973,I took an even bigger step.My 62 Lark was on it's last legs so I bought a 71 Dodge with a 440 Magnum,for the enormous sum of $1200.

Yep, those were the days!
      Neil Thornton

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
        We had a discussion here http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...from-the-1970s about the Stu-V and R4 pricing a couple of weeks ago. $200 in 1972 is $1,129.91 today.

jack vines
        You're math may be a bit off, but I understand what you're saying. Still, I believe that $200. for 'the works' even undercuts period PAXTON PRODUCTS prices.....I wonder if the folks at STU-V we're possibly selling clean used parts?

Comment

You're math may be a bit off,
          Not my math at all. It's from the US Government Inflation Index Calculator. It is what it is.
          Still, I believe that $200. for 'the works' even undercuts period PAXTON PRODUCTS prices.....I wonder if the folks at STU-V we're possibly selling clean used parts?
          I believe by 1972 Stu-V had bought out Paxton Products remaining stock. David Livesay can confirm the date.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

5 different inflation calculator sites for $200 in 1972 came up with:
            1. $1129.00
            2. $1129.91
            3. $1129.94
            4. $1134.94
            5. $1152.31
            South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Originally posted by 55 56 PREZ 4D View Post
              5 different inflation calculator sites for $200 in 1972 came up with:
              1. $1129.00
              2. $1129.91
              3. $1129.94
              4. $1134.94
              5. $1152.31
              AhHa!....I KNEW he was off a bit.....Thanks!

Comment

That's a terrible rate of inflation. It's no wonder I long for the good old days, when I could buy a nice running 1950 Commander for $50. That was in 1969, and I still have it.

Comment

Funny, around New Years Day we all start thinking about 'Time'....I refer to that other thread started by 53k.."Good old days--Another Frost & French story".....So similar in ways to this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                    That's a terrible rate of inflation. It's no wonder I long for the good old days, when I could buy a nice running 1950 Commander for $50. That was in 1969, and I still have it.
                    sals54

Comment

When I was in high school my neighbor had a 1953 Commander with overdrive for sale. What a beautiful car and in perfect condition, so I just assumed he wanted 7 or 8 hundred for it, and I never asked the price. A week later he told me "well Tom, I sold my Studebaker for $35". How stupid of me to not ask the price. With such a beautiful design in 53 and 54, it's too bad Studebaker came out with the 55 front end. As much as I like a beautiful 55 Speedster, the front end is a downfall for me.

Comment

Not everyone dislikes the 55 front end, Myself i love the catfish mouth, but i also like just about every car on the road. Cars have been my life since i was old enough to pick up a Hot Rod book. Oh and i'm on the back side of 71 years old.
                        101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

In 1968 my dad helped me buy my first car, a 1956 Golden Hawk, for $250. It was a turn key, presentable car, but had been used and abused quite a bit.

Comment

in about 1962 i bought a 53 champion coupe for $10.00
                            in 1965 a 55 comander hardtop for $32.50
                            in 1963 a 57 golden hawk for175.00
                            in 1966 a 56 golden hawk in good shape for $62.50

in 1967 a 57 golden hawk nice shape with supercharger working for $185.00 from a chevy dealer
                            mervyn mundorf
                            63 avanti r2 4speed
                            83 avanti 20th ann
                            64 gt hawk r1 4speed
                            and others

Comment

Originally posted by merv View Post
                              in about 1962 i bought a 53 champion coupe for $10.00
                              in 1965 a 55 comander hardtop for $32.50
                              in 1963 a 57 golden hawk for175.00
                              in 1966 a 56 golden hawk in good shape for $62.50

in 1967 a 57 golden hawk nice shape with supercharger working for $185.00 from a chevy dealer
                              Beats the heck out of Kentucky prices of that era. Or maybe I just shopped at the wrong used car lot

Comment

Working...
                              X