stupid questions revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stupid questions revisited

I know we've done this topic,but I just have to tell this one.
    Yesterday,a guy about 45-50 yrs old,asked me if the Lark is an old EDSEL. EDSEL!!! And I had just finished installing the 'Studebaker' and the 'Lark viii' emblems on the car. After investing over 60 hours in this car,I'm glad I can 'vent' here,it wouldn't be a good idea to tell a customer: No you dumb &^*#$%!!! IT's a @#!%^& Rambler!!!

LaSalle,Il
    61Hawk
    60Lark
    Oglesby,Il.

"I can see it's a Studebaker but, who made it?"[:0]
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

"I can see it's a Studebaker but, who made it?"[:0]
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Many people think of Edsels when they see a '50s-'60s car that they are not familiar with or they often relate Studebakers not being made anymore to being like Edsel. I can't see where this comes from. Studebaker made vehicles for 114 years and Edsels were only made for three model years.

Gary L.
        1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
        1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Many people think of Edsels when they see a '50s-'60s car that they are not familiar with or they often relate Studebakers not being made anymore to being like Edsel. I can't see where this comes from. Studebaker made vehicles for 114 years and Edsels were only made for three model years.

Gary L.
          1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
          1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Gary,that does make sense-maybe because Ford is so much bigger.Maybe the general public has heard much more about Fords 'flop'..and they see a car they've never seen before---must be an edsel???
            Rockne,we're still trying to figure out who built 'Studebakers!!but at least we know Ford built the engines!!!

LaSalle,Il
            61Hawk
            60Lark
            Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Gary,that does make sense-maybe because Ford is so much bigger.Maybe the general public has heard much more about Fords 'flop'..and they see a car they've never seen before---must be an edsel???
              Rockne,we're still trying to figure out who built 'Studebakers!!but at least we know Ford built the engines!!!

LaSalle,Il
              61Hawk
              60Lark
              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Interesting. I was driving some local back roads today breaking in the new tires on my Hog,when I saw spotted on the side of the road a very old Model T,(actually a model TT) 1-ton truck.There was another motorcycle rider stopped talking to the owner,so I turned around and came back for a look.
                It was a 1918 model,came from the factory as a chassis only,the old guy had some cataloges or mabey an owners manual,it showed the rig as it was delivered,no cab,not even a cowl,and no seat,just a big barrel type gas tank to sit on untill you built a seat.It had electric start though. Quite different than buying a new F-350.As we talked about old cars I told him of my interest in Studebakers.The other guy said something about a pink Lark thats in the area,Ive seen it,305 Chev engine in it.Both these guys,even though they were into old cars,both asked,"didn't Studebaker always use Chev engines?"
                Hard to understand why so many folk think that way even though they only used the GM block for two years.You rarely meet someone who says"Didn't they always use Packard engines?",well they did for one year.Guess it was a lot longer ago and in much smaller numbers,but it amazes me how so many people think that all Studebakers came with Chev engines.

Comment

Interesting. I was driving some local back roads today breaking in the new tires on my Hog,when I saw spotted on the side of the road a very old Model T,(actually a model TT) 1-ton truck.There was another motorcycle rider stopped talking to the owner,so I turned around and came back for a look.
                  It was a 1918 model,came from the factory as a chassis only,the old guy had some cataloges or mabey an owners manual,it showed the rig as it was delivered,no cab,not even a cowl,and no seat,just a big barrel type gas tank to sit on untill you built a seat.It had electric start though. Quite different than buying a new F-350.As we talked about old cars I told him of my interest in Studebakers.The other guy said something about a pink Lark thats in the area,Ive seen it,305 Chev engine in it.Both these guys,even though they were into old cars,both asked,"didn't Studebaker always use Chev engines?"
                  Hard to understand why so many folk think that way even though they only used the GM block for two years.You rarely meet someone who says"Didn't they always use Packard engines?",well they did for one year.Guess it was a lot longer ago and in much smaller numbers,but it amazes me how so many people think that all Studebakers came with Chev engines.

Comment

I had someone ask me if my Hawk was an Edsel. The Avanti has been
                    mistaken for an Austin Martin, Jaguar, and a kit car. My sister was
                    driving my dads 69 Avanti II in a parade in Michigan, and a group of
                    people started yelling out "BUY AMERICAN!!" A joke?

An older gentlemen came up to my dads Avanti and asked if it had the
                    Packard engine in it. He said that its a little known fact that ALL
                    the record setters at Bonneville used Packard engines. Then he bent
                    down, started knocking on the fender with his knuckle, and proclaimed
                    "dang! You got a LOT of bondo in this!".

Quite a few years ago an older gentlemen came up to my 60 Hawk when
                    I had the windows down. He started to explain to this young punk kid
                    all about Studebakers (though my education of FACTS started before I
                    was a teen). After running his hand across the top of the front VINYL
                    seat he told me that Studebaker had the FINEST leather of all cars in
                    the 50's and 60's. Which ofcourse is why mine had lasted so long. He
                    then told me that Studebaker had their own cattle ranches, in which
                    they had a patented system in protecting the hyde by suspending the
                    cows upside down throughout their life. I had not known that.

Tom
                    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

I had someone ask me if my Hawk was an Edsel. The Avanti has been
                      mistaken for an Austin Martin, Jaguar, and a kit car. My sister was
                      driving my dads 69 Avanti II in a parade in Michigan, and a group of
                      people started yelling out "BUY AMERICAN!!" A joke?

An older gentlemen came up to my dads Avanti and asked if it had the
                      Packard engine in it. He said that its a little known fact that ALL
                      the record setters at Bonneville used Packard engines. Then he bent
                      down, started knocking on the fender with his knuckle, and proclaimed
                      "dang! You got a LOT of bondo in this!".

Quite a few years ago an older gentlemen came up to my 60 Hawk when
                      I had the windows down. He started to explain to this young punk kid
                      all about Studebakers (though my education of FACTS started before I
                      was a teen). After running his hand across the top of the front VINYL
                      seat he told me that Studebaker had the FINEST leather of all cars in
                      the 50's and 60's. Which ofcourse is why mine had lasted so long. He
                      then told me that Studebaker had their own cattle ranches, in which
                      they had a patented system in protecting the hyde by suspending the
                      cows upside down throughout their life. I had not known that.

Tom
                      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                      http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Studebakers are still being made in Canada. At least, that's what a lot of old-timers have told me. [xx(]

Comment

Studebakers are still being made in Canada. At least, that's what a lot of old-timers have told me. [xx(]

Comment

On the plus side- a couple I've known for a long time,sitting next to me at my favorite restaurant,guessed that my Lark was worth $40k.
                            Maybe-if it was a 2dr!!! I told them I bought the car for $2500-I seriously don't think they believed me..

LaSalle,Il
                            61Hawk
                            60Lark
                            Oglesby,Il.

Comment

On the plus side- a couple I've known for a long time,sitting next to me at my favorite restaurant,guessed that my Lark was worth $40k.
                              Maybe-if it was a 2dr!!! I told them I bought the car for $2500-I seriously don't think they believed me..

LaSalle,Il
                              61Hawk
                              60Lark
                              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Working...
                              X