Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From the archives #1487 (factory scene c1924)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the archives #1487 (factory scene c1924)

Another BEV of a portion of the Studebaker plant this one is looking north and slightly east. The building in the foreground became Newman/Altman Standard Surplus in the late 60s and has now been razed. Studebaker referred to it as building 53 and 58 (built in two parts). In the teens touring and roadster bodies were assembled therein by the thousands and shipped to Detroit for installation on chassis built there. The photo was taken in c1924 from the top of building 78 south of Sample Street. Note the Sample Street gate entrance at lower center. The new closed body building is in the background (with the water tower). It was known as building #84 and was completed in 1923, the largest building in the complex. It still stands.

Click image for larger version

Name:	studebaker plant scene bldg 53-58 labeled.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	1746040
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Thanks again for another wonderful photo Richard! Seeing the old N/A building brings back fond memories of seemingly unlimited Studebaker parts with great prices.
    I wonder if those private houses in the lower left hand corner survived?
    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

I am currently reading Jan Young's book "Studebaker and the Railroads" where he talks about those buildings and the company's efforts to make use of the local railroad to ship parts and completed vehicles. Extremely interesting and I am learning more about the company that I was not aware of. I noted that Richard was a contributor on the book. Thank you Richard for all you do to preserve the rich history of this remarkable company.
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Working...
      X