PDA

View Full Version : 53-55 C-K rear quarter piece

vetteson
12-31-2014, 01:28 PM
I am starting the resto on my '55 Speedster and I will need the right rear tail light sheet metal. Mine is toast. Either NOS or cut from a parts car. I've tried several of the listed parts vendors but I may need to locate someone who has parts cars and will ing the cut the piece off. Funny that those cars had a baffle on the left side (protect gas tank spout?) but none on the right, and the rear of the quarter was exposed to everything.

swvalcon
12-31-2014, 02:28 PM
The rear fender just unbolts easier to replace the whole 1/4 panel with a unrusted one. Should all be the same up to 62 gts.

warrlaw1
12-31-2014, 02:58 PM
The "sheet metal" is half on the fender and half part of the body tub. Do you need both? As swvalcon suggests, a replacement fender would be easier. Those baffles are being repopped (Classic Enterprises), but if you want to drive that Speedster, spring for the CE inner fender kits, front and back. Good luck.

SN-60
12-31-2014, 05:07 PM
The "sheet metal" is half on the fender and half part of the body tub. Do you need both? As swvalcon suggests, a replacement fender would be easier. Those baffles are being repopped (Classic Enterprises), but if you want to drive that Speedster, spring for the CE inner fender kits, front and back. Good luck.

Don't forget this old trick.....A right 'outer' (bolt on) 1/4 panel back upper section is a good substitute for a left 1/4 panel inside (body half) upper rear section....and vice versa...That's an oldtimer body man 'low bucks' trick!!....Good luck!

PS....This trick works on all C/K's

55s
12-31-2014, 06:35 PM
You should also be aware that the rear fenders have been re-popped in metal or you can use fiberglass ones.

rockne10
12-31-2014, 07:04 PM
It's been a dozen or so years since I did mine but, I believe the majority of the panel vetteson is inquiring about is tack welded to the inner quarter. A replacement outer quarter may well be more than is needed. If I am correct, my inclination would be to fabricate what's lost from fresh steel.

warrlaw1
01-01-2015, 12:01 PM
Good tip, SN-60. I probably have the makings in my sheet metal spares pile. and Happy New Year, Paul!

vetteson
01-06-2015, 04:01 PM
I have two NOS rear fenders, the rear wheel wells had undercoating and are in good shape, I really just need the tail light sheet metal that's welded to the inner panel, fabrication is probably the way to go. Studebaker offered a repair kit in the day that included the inner panel, a support, and the tail light piece.

Captain Billy
01-06-2015, 04:29 PM
I too looked for that piece....couldn't find one, I was lucky enough to have a local member fab one up for me.

That seems to be the route