Power Steering on 56 Power Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Power Steering on 56 Power Hawk

Hope everyone had a great holiday. Finally got some time to get back on my Power Hawk restore project. Last year I purchased a used Power Steering Setup from a SDC vendor and have spent a good bit of time getting it cleaned up and repainted. I am finally ready to start putting it together. Does anyone have any pictures of how the pump mounts to the block and how the power steering unit mounts to the frame? I have two brackets (one for the pump and one for the unit) and cant quite figure out how the bracket for the pump goes on the block.
    Here is what I have for the pump:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	1746032

And here is the front of the motor:

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	1746033

Any help would be great. This is kinda like putting a jigsaw puzzle together.
    Thanks,
    Clint

Hello Clint, you are missing the bracket that sits on the front corner oh the cyl. head, and the studs that hold it. bracket no.534342, studs no533720 Look's good so far, Good Luck Doofus

Comment

I found a post here a while ago about templates. Don't remember the post, but the fella that has them is Daniel Smith, phone 810-956-6688. He sells them for $2 ea. I got the ones to put p/s on my 61 Hawk. They a for dealer installed options. The ones I got are very complete, with diagrams, bolt sizes, part numbers etc. That should be all you need.-Jim

Comment

Guys thanks. I just noticed in the chassis parts catalog that there is different brackets and pullies for AC vs non AC. I am thinking about putting a Vintage Air system on the car will that require me to go with the AC brackets?

Comment

Bracket (picture # 1309-8) is missing It is held on place by two special studs that replace the front two cylinder head bolts.

Name:	64chasp398s.jpg
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	1694922
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

These were special head bolts with studs on the head , to bolt the bracket to.
            Hens teeth are easier to find.
            I have seen one alternative where someone used grade 8 studs instead of the head bolts and bolted the bracket on these.I assume you have the Saginaw offset unit.
            If the vendor told you that that was the complete package , he still owes you the bracket . The correct hoses with the orifice in them are also hard to find.
            Robert Kapteyn

Comment

The site for the templates is https://www.studebakerdriversclub.co...rtemplates.htm. That should give you what you need.-Jim

Comment

Hey Cbabcock, just finished vintage air install on wifes 57 silver hawk.used factory bracket with sanden adapter. get comp. with rear facing inlet/ outlet, their slimline dash unit stretches from hand brake to 3/4 way under glove box! an origional dash unit would have worked better. i needed def heat air all in one. top mount hoses will hit hood. good luck Doofus

Comment

Thanks everyone. Does anyone have an actual picture of how this all sits under the hood and how the powersteering unit mounts to the frame?
                  Thanks,
                  Clint

Comment

Not the best picture. This shows the saginaw box mounted on the frame with the links attached. This view is looking from the passenger side toward the driver side w/o engine installed. The box itself bolts to a cast iron angle bracket. The angle bracket then is bolted to the frame with 3 long bolts. Note that sedan and coupe angle brackets are different and cannot interchange. This is due to the steering column angle being steeper in a sedan.

Name:	Saginaw PS box and linkage 2.JPG
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	1694979

Jeff in ND

Comment

Jeff,
                      THANKS! That is just what I was looking for. Do you have one of the pump mounted on the engine?

Comment

Well, I do, but would not apply to you. I have my pump on a custom made bracket since I have a ford engine. My bracket is totally different from the Stude engine one.

Actually, I had both pieces of the Stude pump to engine bracket and just recently sold it at the swap meet in Menominee WI last Sept since I didn't need it and it was taking up space in my shed.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Remember that the bracket attaching the steering box to the frame is different between C/K and sedan/wagon.
                          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

IF all goes well in the next 2-3 weeks, I should be able to make up new power steering hoses for the Saginaw units. I (think) I have located a source to the correct fitting to the P/S unit itself. These are a 7/16" x 20 thread. Most of the "over the counter" fittings I've found, are 7/16" x 24 threads.
                            I'm pretty sure that the fittings will be correct, IF so, I will order the P/S dies.
                            I will NOT be doing the later Lark/Hawk & Avanti style.

Jim
                            "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                            their Memorials!

Comment

I do believe I have the correct bracket that you are missing, can anyone confirm?
                              Attached Files
                              Mark Chance

1933 Model 56 5 window Coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X