Heater duct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heater duct

I have a 1954 Land Cruiser. I'm looking for the part number of the "cardboard" duct that goes from the flexible hose type duct to the heater core under the seat. It's about 24" long and is situated over the exhaust pipe in the transmission/drive shaft tunnel. Mine had fallen down on the exhaust pipe and burned through. No wonder it was so hot inside!!! I need the part no. and/or the duct itself.

Unfortunately times have changed. Now it looks like a black dryer vent hose. SI offers them for sale as their part no. 801817, page 114 in their current catalog.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe
    '60 Lark VI
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built OD cars

Comment

Not quite, Tom. If you look under your '53 you should find a stiff tarboard tube from the core housing to about the front curve in the floor pan. The flexible hose is attached from there to the heater blower.
      I'll have to check the book tomorrow to locate the part number. One can then google it, or call Dennis to see if it's still available. I dont think it would be difficult to fabricate if necessary.
      You would think it would be no problem to simply extend the flexible hose to the heater core housing but, I suspect, there was a reason for the stiff tube. A flexible hose would probably be slapping against the floorboard once you got past 80 or 90 mph.

Brad Johnson
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Appears to be part #533981, unknown availability. It is 17" long and 4" across. Could be replaced with a piece of 4" dryer duct and a short piece of the flex hose.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The tube on my '53 C is metal from the front of the heater box forward.

I haven't heard any flapping, but I didn't replace the metal tube either. Its Dryer duct from the fan to the metal tube. I remember the cardboard tube, it rotted away in the early 60s and we depended on incoming air to heat the car. Not very successfully.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars1.jpg[/img=left]
          Tom Bredehoft
          '53 Commander Coupe
          '60 Lark VI
          '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
          All Indiana built OD cars

Comment

Working...
          X