C/K Aftermarket Steering Column Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C/K Aftermarket Steering Column Needed

I am building a 53 C-body street rod including rack and pinion steering. I was planning on adding an aftermarket steering column. Does anyone have any experience as to who's may fit the best, as far as cab fit? I am concerned that a "tilt column" may need to be avoided as the dash and windshield are so close. This is a floor shift car. Not interested in trying to use a junk yard donor.

Jon Kammer

I used a 98 Camaro column with tilt in my 54K. Changed the length of the double "D" compression section to bolt to the GM R&P. Used an earlier non-airbag wheel and used the Camaro wiper motor setup and wired the whole car to use the column controls. You said no junk yard crap so disregard this if you will but it should give you an idea that tilt will work and the component lengths involved. Bob

Comment

Bob,

This is worth looking at Bob. I want to keep options open though.

Thanks,

JK

Comment

FWIW, I used an ididit column in my '56 Hawk custom.

ididit has been making the finest quality steering columns and related accessories for the hot rod, and muscle car enthusiast for the past 30 years and continues to expand on that tradition.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
          FWIW, I used an ididit column in my '56 Hawk custom.

ididit has been making the finest quality steering columns and related accessories for the hot rod, and muscle car enthusiast for the past 30 years and continues to expand on that tradition.

jack vines
          +1 for my '53 Commander
          '53 Commander
          Art Morrison chassis
          LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

I have a GM tilt column of uncertain origin in my '53 coupe and there is no interference issue with the tilt function.
            Pat Dilling
            Olivehurst, CA
            Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Ralt12,

Check your PMs please.

JK

Comment

I used a S10 Column in my M series , Shortened it 3 inches , It was a tilt column with no shift linkage , I also use a floor shift.
                Attached Files
                Randy Wilkin
                1946 M5 Streetrod
                Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Working...
                X