PDA

View Full Version : Super Lark Rag Top

11SecAvanti
12-27-2014, 07:30 PM
And oldie but might still be around.

StudeRich
12-27-2014, 10:36 PM
In "C" Stock Automatic, that HAD to be a Supercharged 289 or 304, because that is a very high class for a small Engine.

My '57 ran way out to "I Stock, formula 7" for a 259 Flight-O-Matic 2 Brl. I have forgotten if that is AHRA or NHRA ratings.

clonelark
12-28-2014, 03:48 AM
Here is the NHRA rule book for stock classes back then, what did a 64 convertible weigh? I can tell you what class it ran. Best weight i have found is R2 3320lbs, 3320lbs divided by 290hp (11.44827586) which would put in D/Stock or D/SA best i remember the R3 wasn't legal for stock classes because Studebaker hadn't given NHRA data on the R3. Had they given it, it would be 3320 divided by 335 = B/Stock or B/SA (9.910447761) That is if NHRA didnt give it it's own HP rating.
I believe this is a 64 rule book and they changed the classes in 1967 and about everything would be one class higher. So i believe the car listed here is an R2.
http://i57.tinypic.com/2ujm3h1.jpg

nels
12-28-2014, 07:11 AM
I'm pretty sure that is one of the Granatellis and I think it is an R4. Probably the Bonneville car. I noticed the flanged rear axles, the additional traction bar going from rear frame forward to the rear axle and also the header dumps, probably Jardine tubes that were made for Paxton at the time. I don't think it is an R3 car as the Bonneville R3's did not have the fender cat's eye identification where the R4 did.

SN-60
12-28-2014, 08:14 AM
I'm pretty sure that is one of the Granatellis and I think it is an R4. Probably the Bonneville car. I noticed the flanged rear axles, the additional traction bar going from rear frame forward to the rear axle and also the header dumps, probably Jardine tubes that were made for Paxton at the time. I don't think it is an R3 car as the Bonneville R3's did not have the fender cat's eye identification where the R4 did.

Now here's a man that knows his 'SUPER STUDEBAKERS':)

11SecAvanti
12-28-2014, 12:13 PM
Wouldn't a Bonneville prep car have a 4 speed and not an automatic 3 speed? The top color appears white. The rear has a modified spring shackle and the tires are rather large on the back. Need a witness with no memory loss.

Stu Chapman
12-28-2014, 12:26 PM
Now here's a man that knows his 'SUPER STUDEBAKERS':)

Now can one of you locate a serial number or even an engine or body number so we can check the Registry. Or if not already there we could add it.

Stu Chapman

SN-60
12-28-2014, 12:52 PM
Wouldn't a Bonneville prep car have a 4 speed and not an automatic 3 speed? The top color appears white. The rear has a modified spring shackle and the tires are rather large on the back. Need a witness with no memory loss.

Good point about the 4 speed, However, wern't the Granatellis known for swapping engines/transmissions more frequently than some of us change our underwear?;)

nels
12-28-2014, 01:09 PM

Yes, they did have 4 speeds but after Bonneville some of the cars were re equipped with automatics, I assume, to fit better into certain classes. The Bonneville convertibles all had white tops. The modified rear spring shackle you mention is not modified as what you see is not a spring shackle but part of a traction device that was welded to the rear frame and then fixed to the bottom spring plate on the rear end. I can see why you think it is not what I say it is but it is. No memory loss on this one. When I took delivery of the Hot Rod test car over thirty years ago, it was equipped exactly as the conv in the picture. I did cut the bars off as the car rode with a rigid rear suspension as it was set up. For whatever reason I actually saved the entire setup; I guess I hate tampering with history. If I knew how to put a picture of the setup on the forum I would do it. Bonneville conv #2 was sold to a retail customer with a power shift in it but the photo could not have been of that car as #2 did not have fender tags.

StudeB
12-28-2014, 01:30 PM
And oldie but might still be around.

I remember seeing this car, or one like it at Stu-V in National City, CA in the early 70s. I made many visits and the Daytona parked there was red, had a white top, was badged as an R4, straight, complete, and neglected. I think I recall reading here recently that the car is still somewhere in CA. Since Stu-V owned it at the time, I am inclined to believe that someone who knew its provenance eventually acquired it for safe keeping.

Rich G

SN-60
12-28-2014, 01:37 PM
Now, this '64 Daytona convertible is a "tribute" candidate if I ever saw one!:!!:

Pat Dilling
12-28-2014, 02:48 PM
NHRA was known to "factor" horsepower ratings if a car performed too well for it's class. Is it possible that could have happened here bumping it up a class?

Alan
12-28-2014, 04:04 PM
Yes Pat; That rule change in 67 caught me. The placed an 11 year rule on stock cars and threw my 53K from M/Stock into E/Modified Production. Still, set the record at Orange County International Raceway on Aug. 5, 1967 that stood for 3 years till they closed it.

11SecAvanti
12-28-2014, 06:06 PM
Thanks Nel, you are a witness from the past so that solves the mystery. Nice to know an R-4 was in competition and not sitting in a show room unsold. I see what you mean now on the traction bar design. I thought it was the spring and rear shackle. Neat design and apparently worked well. Host a photo of the bar and how it tied into the U bolt spring plate if you can. My 64 Commander has some strange welding scars on the rear frame near the shackle that has been cut away and so I am wondering if ??? Judging from the rear tire diameter and width I will assume it is geared low in the 4.54 range. Now for an old video or time slip anyone. LOL

Now the documented proof the R-4 cars were in competition.