Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paperwork for the last Studebaker. Pretty cool.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paperwork for the last Studebaker. Pretty cool.

This sold on ebay in October. It is documentation to save the last Stude in 1966 and there are several pieces of information shown in the pictures. Neat stuff.

Stu, have you seen this before? Jeff

Originally posted by studefan View Post
    This sold on ebay in October. It is documentation to save the last Stude in 1966 and there are several pieces of information shown in the pictures. Neat stuff.

Stu, have you seen this before? Jeff

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/...0,0,0&format=0
    Yes Jeff, I am aware of this documentation but I don't have a copy of it. Unfortunately when I try to print it I can only access a portion of the first image. I can't open the others at all, presumably because they are protected. Any chance you could copy all of it and email it to me as attachments? I'd love to have this in my memorabilia. You can PM me on this if you wish. By the way R.H. 'Bob' Westmore was the Office Manager in Hamilton. I was copied as being a member of the Operating Committee.

From a trivia standpoint, President Gordon Grundy didn't want to have any promotion on this car but I finally was able to convince him that local media should cover it. As you probably know, that car was driven about 18,000 miles before it was turned over to the City of South Bend for the Studebaker Historical Collection. This was before the Studebaker National Museum became an institution.

Stu Chapman

Comment

It would be very nice to see this literature in the museum with the car. How much did this paperwork sell for?

Comment

Here is the sold ad from ebay. Looks like it went for $39.99.

Stu, if you click on a picture further down the ebay ad, it takes you to the Auctiva picture site. If you click on the "fit to screen" button on the left, everything appears to fit in the box. Try hitting print at this point. If that doesn't work, maybe hit the PrtScn button on your keyboard to capture the image. Just a thought. Someone may have a better idea. Jeff

Comment

Truly fascinating material! It was very interesting to see the 1966 order blank. Appears to have been a toss up between Plum and Timberline Turquoise for the colour. Let's hope the purchaser considers donating it to the Museum!

Comment

I was able to save them using firefox as the browser. It gave me the option to stop dialogue with the page and then I could save them to my computer.
            Maybe I can post them here or email them to Stu.

Comment

Originally posted by studefan View Post
              Here is the sold ad from ebay. Looks like it went for $39.99.

Stu, if you click on a picture further down the ebay ad, it takes you to the Auctiva picture site. If you click on the "fit to screen" button on the left, everything appears to fit in the box. Try hitting print at this point. If that doesn't work, maybe hit the PrtScn button on your keyboard to capture the image. Just a thought. Someone may have a better idea. Jeff
              Thanks Jeff. That worked. The eBay ad says there were 10 pieces. However only 7 were shown and I have printed these. Any idea how we could find the other 3?

To John, can you get better copies that could be emailed to me?

Now for a history update. There used to be a debate as to what date this car came off the line. After Gordon Grundy agreed to local publicity I arranged to have its line exit delayed from March 16th 1966 to March 17th 1966 so that CHCH-TV could cover it at 8:00 am for their noon news and the Hamilton Spectator could have it for their afternoon edition. Most of the essential assembly work was completed by shift end on the 16th but final trim installation was completed at 8:11 am on the 16th so that has always been the official date. The unfortunate part of the story is that the car was not shipped to plant 8 as directed but was stored at Hamilton for some time. It then got used for multiple errands and 18,000 miles were put on the car, as well as a pair of snow tires because it was used in the winter of 1966-67. When it finally got shipped to South Bend it was given to the City of South Bend, who by then owned the Studebaker Historical Collection. It was stored for years in the basement of Gates Chevrolet beside an uncovered window which allowed sunshine to deteriorate the upholstery.

Following an inspection by Denton Wright and me in the Gates basement several years later, the late Phil Brown and I got together to develop a fund raising campaign to bring this historic car back to its original condition. The work was done by a team of SDC members in the original archives building in South Bend under Phil's direction. Everyone who contributed money or material to the cause received a framed color picture with their name in appreciation.

The following members and chapters made this restoration possible:
              Paul Bartosh, Phil Brown, Chapman Morris Advertising Ltd in memory of Lillian Morris, Stu & Thelma Chapman, Chuck Collins, Greg Diffen, Graham & Katherine Gagne, Mike Geiger, Max Gretencord, Hamilton Chapter SDC, Roger Hill Family, Stephen Holden, Dennis Lambert, Jim Lock, Gene & Joyce Madjanovich, Ray & Vera Martin, Jim Maxey, Don McMurrich, Jean Morris, Ed Mudry, Newman & Altman Inc, Paul Oliver, Ontario Chapter SDC, Orlando Area Chapter SDC honoring Don Bales, Bill & Joan Patterson, Loren E. Pennington, Mike Pezzano, Ernie & Joan Preece, Mel Quirt, Jim Ramage, Gerry Revell, Saskatchewan Chapter SDC, Gene & Linda Searcy, Susan & Terry Silcox, Jim Sinclair in memory of Tom Ebright, Bill Stroud, Larry & Pat Swanson, Don Tarwacki, Peter V. Tetley, Curt Thews, Matthew Vyse, Rick Whetstone, Denton & Janet Wright, Zehr Insurance Brokers Ltd (John E. Smith).

If anyone knows who purchased these original 10 documents it would be appreciated if they could make contact and see if they could be donated to the Studebaker National Museum. Perhaps even a reasonable price could be arranged for purchase if necessary. Apparently they were sold on eBay for about $40.

Stu Chapman

Comment

One item had three pages to it so maybe they counted them but that would still make 9 right? Maybe they had the front copy of the one with yellow on top.

I'll send you a pm Stu.

Comment

Couple of questions here: On that order form, there's option boxes for manual and pushbutton radios, but no place to specify an AM-FM. What's with that? Also, someone X'd out the front seat belts and wrote "std" in it's place. Were front belts standard by then?
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                    Couple of questions here: On that order form, there's option boxes for manual and pushbutton radios, but no place to specify an AM-FM. What's with that? Also, someone X'd out the front seat belts and wrote "std" in it's place. Were front belts standard by then?
                    IIRC, front seat belts were standard equipment in the 66 model.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Daytona View Post
                      One item had three pages to it so maybe they counted them but that would still make 9 right? Maybe they had the front copy of the one with yellow on top.

I'll send you a pm Stu.
                      Thanks, PM answered.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Who bought it?

Just double checking. Does anyone know who purchased these documents? Anyone know how we can find out?

Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                          Hi Bob , I have a option booklet for 66 and there is no mention of FM radios . I kind of think they were a dealer installed option available.
                          Although I do know a employee from Hamilton once told me they had a skid of FM radios that quite a few walked away ( sure like to find one of those )
                          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

The buyer has 724 ebay purchases to his name so they must be fairly active on eBay. Could someone from the Museum contact the seller and ask him to contact the buyer? Then it would be up to buyer if they wanted to contact the Museum.

Comment

I am in contact with the seller and have asked him to pass my phone number along to the buyer. If he calls me, I will attempt to buy them and give them to the museum.

Comment

Working...
                              X