PDA

View Full Version : Superchaged '62 GT Hawk on eBay

StudeRich
12-25-2014, 05:13 PM
Still another iteration of the famous Golden Hawk/Gran Turismo Hawk naming "Confusion".

Quote: Most rare ssupercharged 4 speed 1962 Studebaker "Gold Hawk GT grand turizmo"
This is still ANOTHER New incorrect "twist" on the Hawk mis-naming trend that will never stop I guess, as long as there are the non-informed who will not listen to former owners/builders, don't know them, or care enough to do a tiny bit of accurate research.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231429821554?forcerRptr=true&item=231429821554&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:SS:SS:US:3160

This IS a very Nice GT Hawk with some awesome Engine mods, it may be just another 289 R2 1/2 wannabe R3 V-8, or NOT! There are some R3 Parts in there but who knows how many? :ohmy:

It is a nice use of the R3 Water Manifold and Air Box to create a side mount Supercharger Hawk install that makes a lot of sense IF they had followed through with other needed upgrades.

"powered by an original R-3 330 HP supercharged V-8 engine and 4-speed transmission." -NOT! :mad:

Did I mention that this is a very strikingly BEAUTIFUL '62 Hawk?
Unfortunately, just represented by the unknowing.

8E45E
12-25-2014, 05:27 PM
He's relisted it again since last week: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?85652-Wow-1st-a-250K-Golden-Hawk-now-an-r3-GT-Hawk-(wink-wink)&highlight=1962+hawk

Craig

SN-60
12-25-2014, 05:46 PM
As interesting as 1963 and 1964 Studebaker R2 powered GT Hawks were/are....I drove a couple of these back when they were still fairly new cars, (powershift equipped jobs) and I must say that their acceleration ability was really 'unremarkable'. I don't know exactly why this was so, as the R2 equipped Studebaker Avantis were/are quite spry!!

StudeRich
12-25-2014, 06:32 PM
As interesting as 1963 and 1964 Studebaker R2 powered GT Hawks were/are....I drove a couple of these back when they were still fairly new cars, (powershift equipped jobs) and I must say that their acceleration ability was really 'unremarkable'. I don't know exactly why this was so, as the R2 equipped Studebaker Avantis were/are quite spry!!

Could it have been, GEARING, Gearing, or gearing? ;) I once went up to the Palos Verdes Estates (So. West of L.A.) Home of a seller of a Green Mist '63 Daytona Skytop, Hardtop with the 289 R2, H.D. Flight-O-Matic combo and a 3.31 Ratio TT Axle, I believe it was.

It was quite disappointing on acceleration for a Supercharged Engine, this would be in the early 1970's when it was just a "Used" Car. I always thought it was not properly tuned and did have a bit of Blower "Lag" quite boggy.

But I think it takes some real "Gears" to get these Cars going, like 3.73 through 4.09, only Avantis were Factory standard geared for "Performance".

Needless to say I did not purchase this one. This Car later was purchased after the front end collision it succumbed to, by I believe it was Dick Bergoner, not his brother. They were able to get in some Drag Races with the Car as well as their "Lethal Lark" 1960 2 Door Drag Car.

Had I only known at the time, that this Car was "ONE of ONE" built as it was, the story might have been different.

SN-60
12-25-2014, 06:49 PM
Could it have been, GEARING, Gearing, or gearing? ;) I once went up to the Palos Verdes Estates (So. West of L.A.) Home of a seller of a Green Mist '63 Daytona Skytop, Hardtop with the 289 R2, H.D. Flight-O-Matic combo and a 3.31 Ratio TT Axle, I believe it was.

It was quite disappointing on acceleration for a Supercharged Engine, this would be in the early 1970's when it was just a "Used" Car. I always thought it was not properly tuned and did have a bit of Blower "Lag" quite boggy.

But I think it takes some real "Gears" to get these Cars going, like 3.73 through 4.09, only Avantis were Factory standard geared for "Performance".

Needless to say I did not purchase this one. This Car later was purchased after the front end collision it succumbed to, by I believe it was Dick Bergoner, not his brother. They were able to get in some Drag Races with the Car as well as their "Lethal Lark" 1960 2 Door Drag Car.

Had I only known at the time, that this Car was "ONE of ONE" built as it was, the story might have been different.

Yes, I agree,....gearing certainly could make a difference.

swvalcon
12-25-2014, 07:02 PM
I would think if it was a true 330 hp it would be kick to drive. I had a 64 plymouth 2 dr sedan with a 330 hp 383 auto 3.23 gears in high school and it was a fun car to drive. You could almost burn tires off as fast as you wanted to. 130 mph was not a problem with it and the speedo. said certified as it was a ex highway police car. was a fairly light car in the lower 3000's and would kick butt on a roadrunner in a heart beat.

paul shuffleburg
12-25-2014, 07:02 PM
A partial flow R2/3?

PackardV8
12-25-2014, 08:00 PM
With gears and tuning, the R2 is a rocket ship. As Rich says, the R2s as delivered were pretty doggy. They were two seconds and ten miles per hour slower than Ted Harbit is running in the Stewed Tomato.

Studebaker learned quickly an R2 could burn itself down the first time a CASO gave it regular grade pump gas and/or stood on it for a long time uphill. That's why the distributor timing and gearing is so conservative.

jack vines

Warren Webb
12-26-2014, 12:09 AM
Looking at some of the other cars they are offering I would question its true condition. That & the ignorance shown by mis-spelling brakes as "Breaks". Spell check is cheap, just like their cars listed. They must spend a fortune on undercoating.

studegary
12-26-2014, 01:21 PM
I would think if it was a true 330 hp it would be kick to drive. I had a 64 plymouth 2 dr sedan with a 330 hp 383 auto 3.23 gears in high school and it was a fun car to drive. You could almost burn tires off as fast as you wanted to. 130 mph was not a problem with it and the speedo. said certified as it was a ex highway police car. was a fairly light car in the lower 3000's and would kick butt on a roadrunner in a heart beat.

I agree with you.
My father and I each purchased new 1964 Fury hartops. His was a 318 and mine was the hipo 383 (330 HP). What a difference! I know that mine would beat a full size Chevrolet with a 409.
I traded the 1964 in (32K miles in 10 months) on a new 1965 Sport Fury hardtop. It had the same hipo 383 (330 HP) and four speed. It didn't have the same feel as the '64 and was slower. The difference was in the weight of the larger 1965 model (same rear gearing).

warrlaw1
12-26-2014, 01:48 PM
Since I switched the 331s out for 373s in my little 259, it's a lot more fun to drive. Most people can't believe a stock 55 could be that quick and nimble. Makes a big difference in the scoot factor.

PackardV8
12-26-2014, 05:39 PM
Since I switched the 331s out for 373s in my little 259, it's a lot more fun to drive. Most people can't believe a stock 55 could be that quick and nimble. Makes a big difference in the scoot factor.

That many V8 Studes came with overdrive and the 3.73-4.09 rear gears is why I was often able to put the hurt on the other BrandXs which had neither. Especially, when TwinTraction became available, country-road-racing, I'd beat them through the quarter-mile, wound out in third. Then, I'd double the bet and beat them top end too in overdrive.

jack vines