Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I guess this is where an Avanti should have hog troughs? Link corrected.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess this is where an Avanti should have hog troughs? Link corrected.

You have to give this seller credit for not trying to hide the bad stuff. I've never seen a repair like this one under this Avanti II. [/url] Craigslist. http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/4795591978.html
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 52-fan; 12-24-2014, 12:24 PM. Reason: Bad link
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

That is a bit unique isn't it? In the Corvette world, that is referred to as a "Bubba" repair...where Bubba engineered his own way of doing things.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I actually know the seller and he is a good guy.

He has had that on craigslist for some time now, several of us have remarked on that repair. While it looks different and wierd, I have thought it might actually be stronger than the original hog troughs.
      If I had the room and needed a driver then I probably would take the 2 hour ride to look at it as you do not find running Avanti's that cheap very often
      Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
      1961 Hawk 4-speed
      1967 Avanti
      1961 Lark 2 door
      1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
        You have to give this seller credit for not trying to hide the bad stuff. I've never seen a repair like this one under this Avanti II http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/4795591978.htmlon Craigslist.
        He's a much better fabricator than the PO of my 74.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0743-002.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	1694857

unclemiltie, Agreed that the repair looks stronger but neither his nor mine provided the support over the area that the original hog troughs do. When I cleaned mine out prior to removing the home made ones, I was surprised at the amount of cracking I could hear from the fiberglass when I leaned on the floor.

My advice to anyone that buys an Avanti like this is to bite the bullet and plan to replace the troughs. They do a lot to the structural integrity including providing a solid mount for the roll bar that adds a lot of stiffness.

The listing seems to be gone so I hope he sold it. You are correct about his being straight forward about that issue in his listing. I trust a seller like that, my car was listed on Ebay with a similar note and pix.

Bob
        Last edited by sweetolbob; 12-24-2014, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
          He's a much better fabricator than the PO of my 74.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40123[/ATTACH]

unclemiltie,

The listing seems to be gone so I hope he sold it. You are correct about his being straight forward about that issue in his listing. I trust a seller like that, my car was listed on Ebay with a similar note and pix.

Bob
          Strange, I just looked at it about an hour ago. I'll have to go bad to the original page and see if the address copied it wrong. FIXED it.
          Last edited by 52-fan; 12-24-2014, 12:26 PM.
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
            Strange, I just looked at it about an hour ago. I'll have to go bad to the original page and see if the address copied it wrong. FIXED it.
            Thanks, That's darn good paint for that age. If it would buff up and the engine/trans are in good nick, a quick Dick Steinkamp on the hog troughs should make it a nice driver. A lot of touch up is necessary for the interior but that wouldn't stop it from going down the road.

It could still $50 and $100 the owner to death but if you know when to stop, it should be worth a look.

Bob

Comment

Working...
            X