Question for those with Hawks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for those with Hawks

The hood release mechanism, not counting the cable vs. the handle release, is it somewhat visually the same as the 53/54 mechanism ?

Thanks

Mike

The 56 and 57 are the easiest to find, reach and work, the 58-61 with the inter grille mesh moves it down under the bumper and a little harder to work, none are seen with out really looking.
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Comment

The 62 GT Hawk hood release is just inside the left side grill opening. Important to remember when lifting the hood, pull it toward you as you lift
      Peter Bishop

Comment

I think the 56,57,and 62 are all the same.63 has a cable.
        Neil Thornton

Comment

Originally posted by PeterHawk View Post
          The 62 GT Hawk hood release is just inside the left side grill opening. Important to remember when lifting the hood, pull it toward you as you lift
          Remember to push back away from you when lowering.. Never drop a coupe hood as on a Corvette..

Comment

Remember to push back away from you when lowering.

I don't know about Hawks, but my '53 coupe and '55 Land Cruiser both need me to lean back and pull as I'm lowering them.

Comment

I believe the one that works on a '53/'54, is going to be the Hood Latch Plate from a '51 Mike. You can add the possibly modified length '62-'64 Hawk inside release Cable.

It was mounted on the Radiator surround panel like yours, not at the bottom of the Hood/Grille.
              All Hawks have that huge U shaped, second catch, spring loaded lever, that is too tall for a '50-'54.

If it is for your Wagon, the cable length may be very close to a '62-'63 Lark.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 12-19-2014, 11:31 PM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

On a 56J just inside the driver's side opening where the wrap around chrome is. Not easily seen, as stated above.

Comment

Rich -

Thanks for the cable info...much appreciated.
                  I have a 50 or 51 latch plate. While it may work, it's not like the one on my other 54. Whomever did that swap, the latch mechanism looks just like the 53/54 latch plate, just without the hand release arm, but with the short cable arm. Still looking...

Mike

Comment

Working...
                  X