Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SDC Members Going to Scottsdale Auctions? Tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDC Members Going to Scottsdale Auctions? Tips?

My dad and I are going to be in Scottsdale AZ for the auctions Wednesday thru Friday January 14-16th.

My first time at an auction. Any SDC members meeting up? Any tips, what to avoid, which auctions to make sure to make it too?

Were not going to sell or buy, just to spectate and get out of the lousy NY and WI weather for a few days.

Thanks,
    Matt
    Matthew Wendt

I will be there. Probably Barrett-Jackson, Russo-Steele, for sure. Possibly Silver. The high end ones like RM are a bit pricey

Denny L

Comment

Take a lot of money as everything you do at barrett-jackson costs money. Funny they haven't found a way to charge for the air you breathe while you are there.

Comment

Denny L. and myself go every year, usually on Wednesday when it is cheaper to get in. To us it is just a chance to see some super nice cars and dream.
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I will be there. Prolly on Friday. Just lookin', no buyin'. Then will be barging in on the Grand Canyon Chapter event on Saturday if they'll have me.
          sigpic
          Bob Shaw
          Rush City, Minnesota
          1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
          "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

BJ is the ultimate car show and watching some of the auction action in person was interesting for about 10-15 minutes. Prefer to watch on TV. Silver auction has many affordable cars, just not very many cars on display. It is a ways from the other auctions.
            Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
            jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

We will look forward to seeing all of you. The Grand Canyon event is Saturday January 17 at the Martin Museum in Phoenix

Denny L

40 President Club Sedan Street Rod
              64 Daytona Convertible R1
              64 Avanti R1
              Last edited by Green 53; 12-19-2014, 09:04 PM. Reason: Left out a word

Comment

some of these are tips are repeats, and I've only been to BJ
                go Wednesday and Thurs tickets prices are cheaper
                wear good shoes you'll walk plenty.
                light jacket it will likely be warm during the day but cools off quick of course you being from cold country you can probably just wear shorts and t-shirt lol
                we (bro and 84yo dad that out walks me) spend the majority of the day in the outside tents where the cars are parked prior to and after they are on the auction block. Many cool cars of all kinds
                fun to watch them prep the cars for the block right before they enter the building as well plus you can hear some of them fire up and run
                lots of vendors inside if your in to man cave art and over priced tubing benders etc, but lots of stuff to see.
                Yes BJ charges for everything but its a day well spent looking at cars and hanging with car folks. Lots of people watching some of whom should have stayed in the circus.

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                57 SH (project)
                60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

We will see you at the Chapter meeting on Saturday Bob!
                  Originally posted by BShaw View Post
                  I will be there. Prolly on Friday. Just lookin', no buyin'. Then will be barging in on the Grand Canyon Chapter event on Saturday if they'll have me.
                  Frank van Doorn
                  Omaha, Ne.
                  1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

Looking forward to it. I will try to bring a cooler full of fresh Minnesota snow to share. ??????

Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
                    We will see you at the Chapter meeting on Saturday Bob!
                    sigpic
                    Bob Shaw
                    Rush City, Minnesota

Comment

Leave your car somewhere safe and take a municipal bus to the site. Last time I was there it cost $12.00 to park for 4 hours and then you had to walk a long ways to the cars. Probably gone up a lot since then. (ten years ago)

Comment

Oh yeah I forgot about the parking. Follow the signs to park off site and then take the bus to the auctions site. I think the cost for the parking and bus are free. Bus driver accepts tips. Parking closer to the auction onsite (if they even have it anymore) is much more crowded and takes more time to get into and out of the parking area.

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                        53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                        57 SH (project)
                        60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

The last time I was at B-J Scottsdale the brats were $9. I didn't mind though cuz a pretty girl put the brat in the bun. A second lass put sauerkraut on and a third damsel put my mustard on for me!
                          sigpic
                          Bob Shaw
                          Rush City, Minnesota

Comment

A bunch of us Studebaker guys usually car pool locally to B-J and chip in $5.00 a piece to park in the valet parking, we don't want to walk a half mile, but then we are lazy! Everything is expensive at B.J. including the food. We usually get our B-J tickets at the local Ford dealers to get in free on Wednesday, since we are CASO's.

To Bob Shaw: We have a sign in our front yard here in the Phoenix area that reads "let it snow"........so far nothing. If we want to see snow we only have to drive north up the mountain about an hour and there will be all kinds of it. I'll give you a call if we get homesick for snow. lol
                            Frank van Doorn
                            Omaha, Ne.
                            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

Frank and Denny,

My dad will be giving you guys a call over the next week. Wednesday at B-J sounds like a good idea. Thanks everyone for the tips!

Thanks,
                              Matt
                              Matthew Wendt

Comment

Working...
                              X