Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommended products for interior detailing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended products for interior detailing?

Hi all. I'm new to the forum... and to Studebakers. My husband and I just bought a 64 Daytona. She's a beautiful girl, but her interior could use a little work... mostly just cleaning the grime that settles while sitting in a garage for 30 years. Could someone recommend the best products for interior detailing - upholstery, carpet, dash and such? Thanks so much!

Nice choice. My Studebaker had only sat for 7 years, and was similarly covered in grime. I was very reluctant to employ strong chemicals, as I did not know how fragile the various materials would be. It was clear the carpet had to go, so goodbye to that; then I did several really thorough vaccums, followed by a damp cloth pressing and lifting from the surface(s), not rubbing. Change cloth regularly. I followed up with grandmas basic recipe - 1 part soap and water, 1 part elbow grease, 1 part patience, over several weekends. Worked for me. Enjoy!!!
    PS- once I ascertained that the headlining was actually quite strong, I used a bathroom scrub brush, with soap and water, and used a circular motion 1 small patch at a time. This was to remove some nicotine yellowing (mainly above driver), and was worth the effort as the headliner was in good nick.

Comment

In the 50s, we used saddle soap to clean leather and vinyl. It worked great and probably still does.

Comment

Check out Autogeek http://autogeekonline.net. They're dedicated to auto cosmetic care and carry many brands of car care supplies. They have tutorials and a forum for help. Should you choose to buy anything from them, they offer regular specials and you can also use "AVANTI10" for a 10% promo discount anytime.

You'll learn a lot of Autogeek.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Griot's Garage has excellent products for both interior and exterior maintenance. I have been using them for a while now and am constantly impressed with how well they work. Here is a link to their site.
          Car Care for the Perfectionist! Polishes, waxes, cleaners, polishers, foaming systems, detailing supplies, and accessories. We make it, we guarantee it!
          Ed Sallia
          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by Flutterbyd View Post
            Hi all. I'm new to the forum... and to Studebakers. My husband and I just bought a 64 Daytona. She's a beautiful girl, but her interior could use a little work... mostly just cleaning the grime that settles while sitting in a garage for 30 years. Could someone recommend the best products for interior detailing - upholstery, carpet, dash and such? Thanks so much!
            good morning for the head liner try Tuff Stuff a lighter cleaner has worked for me on several cars use with a soft sponge and clean warm water....on the vinal parts of the seats soap, water and a soft clean sponge ..try not to soak the seat or any sewing areas for the cloth seat inserts try a product called purple power...delute as the instructions say be sure to use a soft clean sponge and rinse each area with clean water using a soft sponge...for seat belts soak in purple power duluted about 50 50 for an hour or so then rinse with a pressure washer you will be amazed...when cleaning the seats go slowly and softly...it may take several times to get the result that you want...also on the vinal use a good vinal conditioner to soften the material after cleaning..finally be happy with the result...a very clean used original stude interior is a pleasure to behold..happy motoring

Comment

Originally posted by Flutterbyd View Post
              Congratulations on buying your '64 Stude. You're in the right place to receive good information on how to care for your car. I would strongly suggest that you join the Studebaker Drivers Club and find a local chapter in your area. I've found that Studebaker people are the nicest antique car people around. I've been a proud member of SDC for 23 years now.
              There is a valuable section in the SDC monthly magazine called The Cooperator. In this section members submit questions on how to correct mechanical problems with their Studes. You can submit your own questions if you like. They also comment on timely subjects that affect our cars.
              Again, all the best.
              Rog
              '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
              Smithtown,NY
              Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Hi again Flutterbyd.
                Some additional info: When just before you log onto this Forum, there are a number on things to click on on the access bar. When you see "Contacts," scroll down to Chapters. There are a few upstate SDC chapters. I'm not sure which one would be close to you, but you can check them out.
                Again, good luck.
                Rog
                '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                Smithtown,NY
                Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I use griots garage products and they are outstanding

Comment

Another vote for Griots Garage, pricey but good.
                    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                    50 Champion 2 door*
                    53 Commander K Auto*
                    53 Commander K overdrive*
                    55 President Speedster
                    62 GT 4Speed*
                    63 Avanti R1*
                    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Autogeek sells Griot's Garage products. As I said before, they give regular specials and you'll get at least a 10% discount using the "AVANTI10" promo where it asks for a promo code. I use Griot's products as well...they're excellent.

Some time back I set up the discount with Autogeek for Avanti and Studebaker aficionados.
                      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I pulled the rear seat from my 57 Commander to clean stains which I naively thought were water but turned out to be mouse pee. I rented a carpet cleaner from Home Depot with the long hose stair attachment. Kept going moved the cloth inserts until the water going up the hose was clear (no longer yellow). The material cleaned up very nice, peeled off layers of padding underneath until the stinky stuff was gone, the burlap covering the padding needed to be thrown away. I found new padding today at Michael's Crafts, queen size piece for $11

Comment

I pulled the rear seat from my 57 Commander to clean stains which I naively thought were water but turned out to be mouse pee. I rented a carpet cleaner from Home Depot with the long hose stair attachment. Kept going over the cloth inserts until the water going up the hose was clear (no longer yellow). The material cleaned up very nice, peeled off layers of padding underneath until the stinky stuff was gone, the burlap covering the padding needed to be thrown away. I found new padding today at Michael's Crafts, queen size piece for $11

Comment

Murphy's Oil soap works very well and doesn't dry out the material.

Comment

Many thanks to everyone for these great suggestions! raprice is right... Studebaker people are the nicest people! My hubby is anxious to get started, so I appreciate your help to head in the right direction.

Comment

Working...
                              X