Medium Truck problem areas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medium Truck problem areas?

I will be looking at a E model (not sure about the year yet) and would like to know common problems to check for. The truck is one of the bigger models but not the biggest. It has 20" widowmaker (Firestone RH 5 deg) wheels with 5 studs.

Truck Repairs

Big trucks are fun to work on. There's a lot of room to get around, and a lot of mental to play with. There are a good number of metal parts being re-popped currently. The fiberglass grills can be re-worked.
    It all depends on how deep you want/need to go.
    Jed
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jeds55; 12-17-2014, 03:02 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

Rust, rust, rust. Bottom of the doors, bottom rear corners of the cab, rear edge of the front fenders, floors in front of the seat. Patch panels are available for all of the above, but it can run into money. All drive train parts are readily available, though some brake parts can be hard to find. All glass is available.

It sounds like a 1.5-ton, model xE-28. The serial plate on the driver's side step plate will tell you the model and wheelbase. It could have a number of wheelbases, 131, 155, and 171" It could have a 4 spd, 5 spd direct, or 5 spd/OD trans. Rear axle ratio will be either low or a low/very low 2-speed. Top speed will be in the neighborhood of 55 mph, depending on the axle ratio and trans. They are impressive at a meet, and a lot of fun, but they ride a lot better with a couple of tons in the back.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks to all, I hope to get a chance to look it over in the next few weeks. It was in a barn and the owner wasn't there so I didn't feel I could really look it over. I am no stranger to medium (and large for that matter) trucks, I have two International K models both with a 5+2. This truck has the V-8 and either a 4+2 or 5+2.
        A first glance the sheetmetal looks in very good condition, but I didn't dig around to see it all.

Comment

Check out:
          Studebaker Truck Talk
          Network54.com
          All Studebaker truck talk.
          Nothing BUT Studebaker truck talk.
          South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Here is a link to the Stude V8 engine ID table. At the bottom, it shows where the engine serial number is located.

Stude Truck Talk:

Tapatalk the world's leading mobile platform for building great communities online

Stude Truck Farmers:

Last edited by Skip Lackie; 12-18-2014, 04:46 AM.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

In my opinion, vintage trucks can give you the most "FUN" experience possible in our hobby. Especially, the Studebaker C Cabs. They are what I consider very "honest" vehicles. "Honest" in regard to simplicity of purpose and construction. They are a motorized equivalent, for vehicles, as the wheelbarrow is to yard tools. They are tough, with simple wiring for basic needs, straight axles, stiff springs, and very little complex compromises sacrificing function for comfort.

I have worked on many brands of trucks, but, I would challenge anyone to find a late forties to early '60's truck brand that is built tighter than the metal "capsule" that forms the C-Cab cockpit. The main drawback I see to it, is that, if you are more than six feet tall, and have a belly...you had better love being intimate with the steering wheel, back of the seat, and side of the door. Apparently, Studebaker's engineering team wanted it to be as good as possible too. If you visit the museum and see the artistry of the wooden C-Cab "Gauge Block" used in quality control...you should understand how important this was to them.

There are many components on the trucks that could be considered "HO-HUM" standard truck stuff. But...for their intended original purpose, they are well applied. King pins, leaf springs, tie rods, axles, frames, gear boxes, etc. All sized for specific weight hauling duties, and purposes. However, it is that simple, tight, (cramped) sheet-metal capsule sitting atop the assemblies of tough truck stuff...that draws our focus.

As for rust, like so many trucks, many were simply tools, often operated by hired help, trying to survive 'till quitt'n time. Cigarette butts, coffee cups, paper napkins accumulate in the floors, behind the seat, down the back cab corners, get wet, and incubate rust. Virtually no one thinking that "someday...this will be a collectible." Trucks on job-sites, mired in mud, banging across fields, and hauling corrosive fertilizer. Nobody ever giving thought about clearing out the lower inner door drains. It is a wonder that any are still here.

I've now had the one in my signature picture for four decades. I'm doing a little work on it now. I love my truck. I hope you will have as much fun with yours as I've had with mine.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Agree with jclary; the only problem area with C-cab trucks is we've outgrown them. They were designed in the 1940s when the average driver was inches and pounds smaller than today. If mine had another few inches of leg room, it would be perfect.

Even though there isn't enough room inside for taller drivers, I've still owned and driven C-cabs for fifty years. They're just so pretty, I take the tradeoff.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

I love my C-Cabs, add in Rust in the hood front corners... equals fabrication, as these arent reproduced that I know of.

also I don't think the E-Series back glass is reproduced, and it's not exactly flat. The earlier R series back glass is all flat.
                  Windshield is reproduced, but can be pricey for a CASO like me.

Brake wheel cylinders can be a bear to find, depends on the truck and PLAN on rebuilding the entire brake system (Replace it all if possible) ( I went to silicone fluid after my rebuilds and no longer have sticking problems)
                  Of course ditch the widowmakers on the front at least...
                  2 spd rear axle is a plus if it has one....

Fibreglass grilles are being reproduced, but if not busted up too bad, can be redone.
                  Legroom and etc.... I'm working on re-doing the seat on mine to help my back as with the stock seat, about all I can handle is an hour in it..

Comment

2 spd rear axle is a plus if it has one....
                    I'd add "if one is hauling heavy loads on hilly terrain." If it's a hobby truck, a 2-speed is actually a negative to me personally.

Legroom and etc.... I'm working on re-doing the seat on mine to help my back as with the stock seat, about all I can handle is an hour in it..
                    Consider adding a cruise control. It's expensive for a CASO and a bit of work to install, but being able to relax my right leg when highway driving - priceless!

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

Overdrive would be better....

Comment

Working...
                      X