Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any one recall "Stu-V" - San Diego area Studebaker Performance shop from the 1970s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any one recall "Stu-V" - San Diego area Studebaker Performance shop from the 1970s?

I was going through old photographs and came across these three images that I took between 1976 and 1978. I was in the Navy stationed in San Diego at the time. If my memory is correct the business was called Stu-V and they specialized in high performance Studebakers. As you can see, the inventory was very interesting. Do these vehicles survive? Does anyone have information on the business or the folks who ran it?
    Attached Files
    Fosco
    Las Vegas Nevada

sigpic

I don't anything about this business , but it would be interesting learning all about the history. Street locations , did they have a sticker that they made up for the company. Any ad that was posted in a magazine. If stickers were reproduce I would buy a couple. All the years they were in business.

Comment

59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Stu-V started in 1951 at 3495 E Pico Blvd in L.A. by John McKusick. He sold the business to Chris Banke and Dave Livesay some time around 1970 and they moved it to National City, just south of San Diego. Chris Banke sold the business to Lional Stone in 1980. Dave is around this forum and will chime in shortly if they had any stickers or anything like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
          Stu-V started in 1951 at 3495 E Pico Blvd in L.A. by John McKusick. He sold the business to Chris Banke and Dave Livesay some time around 1970 and they moved it to National City, just south of San Diego. Chris Banke sold the business to Lional Stone in 1980. Dave is around this forum and will chime in shortly if they had any stickers or anything like that.
          And Lionel Stone sold it to John Erb about three years ago.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Many of us who have been in SDC for 47-50 years, remember them and especially their Nice Performance Parts very well, 2 X 2 Intakes etc. and have their License Plate frames etc. still. Now available Stu-V Parts, very, VERY few.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I still have one of their catalogs that I got in 1974.

Comment

Is John mcKusick still around. I have a !64 Waggonair factory R1 4spd car that has a one inch diam front sway bar. I think that bar came from Stu V and I think it was installed prior to the availability at Avanti Motors. It would be nice to know if StuV was selling such an item.

Comment

John McKusick passed away in 2006. But his son John Jr. still has a prototype studio in the same building. He is in his late 60's. If it came from Stu-V, it had to come from National City.

Comment

Stu-V intake on the Kart Hauler...

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Chris sold the parts to Roy Heckers in Chula Vista. Roy placed many memorable ads in Turning Wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by stratovue View Post
                        Chris sold the parts to Roy Heckers in Chula Vista. Roy placed many memorable ads in Turning Wheels.
                        I remember Roy Heckers very well. He used to buy parts from Lester Schmidt, then mark the prices up by about 1000 per cent. I also recall his terminology, i.e., "Just a few more left fans..." Wonder if he is still around.

Comment

Roy sounds like my old friend Earl Mad Man Muntz. He used to say, "I want to give them away, but my wife won't let me, she says I'm crazy".
                          Last edited by Alan; 12-16-2014, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Yes, as of earlier this year, Roy was still with us, He purchased some parts from me for a friend.

Jim
                            "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                            their Memorials!

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                              Stu-V intake on the Kart Hauler...

Pictures of work Dick did on Kart Hauler should be in an art museum. The most beautiful Stude custom in history IMHO.
                              Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
                              jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

Working...
                              X