Question on M16 Steering Gearbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on M16 Steering Gearbox

I have someone that might be interested In my 1946 M16 Steering gearbox. Question is, Does the shaft to steering wheel come loose if the take the top off gearbox? What I an getting at is my steering shaft is cut off at steering wheel. so it would have to be replaced, and it would be cheaper to ship without the steering shaft . Thanks in advance for any info !
    Randy Wilkin
    1946 M5 Streetrod
    Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

If that is a Ross TA-12 box, the worm is an integral part of the steering shaft. To remove it from the box, you need to remove the bearing retainer around the shaft where it exits the box, plus remove the top cover (with adjusting screw) and push up on the sector shaft so the cam follower disengages from the worm. Then you should be able to take the worm out, along with a mess of loose bearing balls. If your buyer just wants the box "for parts" why not just saw the steering shaft off about 4" above the bearing retainer? In order to use the box, the steering shaft would have to be either replaced (best) or welded (iffy).
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
      If that is a Ross TA-12 box, the worm is an integral part of the steering shaft. To remove it from the box, you need to remove the bearing retainer around the shaft where it exits the box, plus remove the top cover (with adjusting screw) and push up on the sector shaft so the cam follower disengages from the worm. Then you should be able to take the worm out, along with a mess of loose bearing balls. If your buyer just wants the box "for parts" why not just saw the steering shaft off about 4" above the bearing retainer? In order to use the box, the steering shaft would have to be either replaced (best) or welded (iffy).
      Thanks for reply , I will see which way he wants to go if he gets back to me !
      Randy Wilkin
      1946 M5 Streetrod
      Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Working...
      X