SDC punctuation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDC punctuation

I thought that I read somewhere that SDC never used an apostrophe in the word Drivers.
    While looking at a 1971 Bulletin the emblem in the upper left hand corner says" The Studebaker
    DRIVER'S CLUB INC. Anyone know when it was changed?

Originally posted by paul shuffleburg View Post
    I thought that I read somewhere that SDC never used an apostrophe in the word Drivers.
    While looking at a 1971 Bulletin the emblem in the upper left hand corner says" The Studebaker
    DRIVER'S CLUB INC. Anyone know when it was changed?
    I can't speak for publications prior to September 1972 as I don't have copies of these in my memorabilia. However the first issue of Turning Wheels did not use an apostrophe, and has never used one since. The SDC logo was printed on the cover of that first issue and it also was devoid of an apostrophe. Perhaps Richard Quinn can chime in here as he will likely have all the previous "Bulletins".

Stu Chapman

Comment

It changed from no apostrophe to an apostrophe and then back to no apostrophe (as it should be). I say "should be" because the SDC NY incorporation documents (1962) do not use an apostrophe in the name of the corporation.

If it did have an apostrophe, I believe that it should be Studebaker Drivers' Club since it is a club of many drivers (plural), not one driver.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I do remember in the late 1970's, TW did publish a page on the authorized uses of the Studebaker Drivers Club name and logo at local events, etc., and I do remember the line about no apostrophes in the word "Drivers"; either before the letter 's' or after it.

Craig
        Last edited by 8E45E; 12-12-2014, 11:24 AM. Reason: Deleted link, Gary already replied

Comment

As has been noted above, the apostrophe was used in the logo through 1971. The apostrophe was dropped in 1972 but over the years it reappeared from time to time in error. In looking at some of the promotional material from past International Meets, we see the apostrophe used in 1995, 1997 and even as late as 2009. IMO, part of the problem was that there was no central source/repository for correct logo art so each International Meet (and chapters) created their own version from scratch...some correct, some incorrect with an apostrophe, wrong size Studebaker script, etc. Thankfully, since then the SDC logos are in digital format so consistent usage and appearance is possible.
          sigpic
          Bob Shaw
          Rush City, Minnesota
          1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
          "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

Shouldn't it read Drivers / Club? You are talking about golf..., aren't you?
            '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Working...
            X