Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Stude should I buy next? Indulge my fantasy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Stude should I buy next? Indulge my fantasy.

I can afford to buy a good Studebaker. I am in my middle 70s, don't have many more years to enjoy one, so I want to act soonish. I have a 53 project that I don't think I will get done so I will likely try to sell it and buy a "finished" car. I have a 63 R1 Avanti that would also be sold. Keeping the Champ. Just for perspective I have in the past had a 40 Champion 4 door, 47 Commander Starlight, 50 Champion 2 door sedan, 53 Commander K, 62 GT as well as the above cars. Here is my short wish list. 53 or 54 Commander K, Speedster, 63 or 64 R2 GT or Avanti. (When I first wrote this I forgot to included Golden Hawk, any year.) Not looking for a 400 point show car but one I could drive with pride and put in local show and shine without apology. What recommendations or thoughts do you have to help me think about this? Thanks in advance for your input.
    Last edited by ddub; 12-14-2014, 07:48 AM. Reason: Addition
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Originally posted by ddub View Post
    Here is my short wish list. 53 or 54 Commander K, Speedster, 63 or 64 R2 GT or Avanti.

What recommendations or thoughts do you have to help me think about this?
    Since a '53 K is on your list, that low-miler currently on Ebay would be a car to consider. Being in your mid-seventies you would no doubt remember them when they were brand new, it would be like sitting in a time warp with such few miles on it.

Craig

Comment

If your '63 Avanti is an R1 automatic,.....Sell it and buy a '63 or '64 Avanti R2 Four speed and have some REAL fun!

Comment

Considering your situation, I'd say a 63-64 GT will get you on the road in style, at a reasonable price, and serve you well. Be sure to get one with power steering, PDB, and automatic transmission. Those options seem plentiful in 63-64 GTs, so I am sure there is one out there just waiting for you.

Comment

Great topic I think meny of us are in a some what similar situation being in our 60s 70s and older. We might not have all the money we want but want but are looking for a Studebaker to drive in comfort. My first thought is of getting in and out of a car/truck how hard how easy. Do you fit , most of us are not as flexable or thin as we used to be our parts are well worn shoulders, knees etc. so comfort and ease of useing the car is very inportant my car is getting A/C this year so summer driveing will be much more enjoyable. Do you want others to ride with you 2 doors or 4 doors. So if you are thinking 4 dr a wagon 57/8 with all the extras ps pb ac . A 2dr a 53/4 c/k up dated with ps pb ac better seats. Thats my 2 cents.

Comment

Don,

While its easy to spend someone else's money let me make a suggestion. Buy the low mileage all original 53 Commander currently on Ebay, drive it occasionally and otherwise conserve the vehicle. At your passing have your estate gift the vehicle to the SNM. The estate would get a nice tax deduction, the museum gets a fine addition to the collection and your generosity is Memorialized when the car is on display.
            ed ellis

sigpic

the "SUPER COUPE"

Comment

Most important is to get what you want and will enjoy.

I am now closer to 80 than to 70. I prefer to buy a car that is done (they are never done) than to do any more projects or restorations.

At what state of completion is your 1953 Commander Starliner? You might investigate getting that car completed by a competent shop (that is the difficult part).

I have owned and driven all five types of cars that you mention. I would suggest turning your '53 (or buying one done) into a restomod with the origianl appearance, but modern brakes, steering, engine, transmission, A/C, 12 volts, seats, etc.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

My first thought before even reading your post was a Speedster. I too have a '53 Starliner project and if I was going to sell it and get one already done it would definitely be a Speedster.

Comment

Just do what I would do, if I could: one of each!
                  Lou Van Anne
                  62 Champ
                  64 R2 GT Hawk
                  79 Avanti II

Comment

Don,
                    you have had some great cars, but the one that is not on your list that should be is a Lark Cruiser with all the options. Bucket seats, V8 ps pb and Air make them the best driving late model car Studebaker ever made. Those of us that have cars like these rarely publicise how good they are for fear they will bring higher money than an Avanti......

Regards
                    Greg
                    Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
                    1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
                    1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
                    1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
                    1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
                    1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
                    1988 Avanti Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by go-studebaker View Post
                      Don,
                      you have had some great cars, but the one that is not on your list that should be is a Lark Cruiser with all the options. Bucket seats, V8 ps pb and Air make them the best driving late model car Studebaker ever made. Those of us that have cars like these rarely publicise how good they are for fear they will bring higher money than an Avanti......

Regards
                      Greg
                      Agree on 63-66 Cruisers. I owned a 63, and it was the best all around driver I ever had. I'd prefer another 63, as I understand it is the only year with the extra 4" or so of foot room, due to an extended wheelbase for that year. S-P used used the extra 4" to increase space between front and rear seats, and make the rear seat area more roomy.
                      Last edited by JoeHall; 12-14-2014, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Dream list ideas for a senior (with friends)..
                        Easy in and out seating.
                        Auto trans, power steering and air conditioning.
                        Four doors.
                        Easy to load and unload stuff (especially luggage)

I'd suggest a Studebaker Wagonaire.....
                        Add a Pertronix, convert it to R134...
                        Drive it right through the Golden Years!

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The Cruiser idea did occur to me and that wagon is attractive. However, I was smitten with the 53 K the first time I saw one as a youth and will likely end up with some variation of it as my last Stude.
                          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                          50 Champion 2 door*
                          53 Commander K Auto*
                          53 Commander K overdrive*
                          55 President Speedster
                          62 GT 4Speed*
                          63 Avanti R1*
                          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
                            The Cruiser idea did occur to me and that wagon is attractive. However, I was smitten with the 53 K the first time I saw one as a youth and will likely end up with some variation of it as my last Stude.
                            LAST STUDE ???? Don't throw in the towel that easily. In todays world, you could easily be driving and enjoying for many years to come. Sell all the ones you've got and get a muscled up 53 and a Wagonaire. I don't think you'll ever miss the other cars.
                            sals54

Comment

Don, you mentioned any year Hawk--Why don't you do it right and buy Franks 56j that was unsold on ebay?? Probably the best in the U.S. and that could actually be driven without breaking down like the museum piece -undriven for 60yrs -, that would have seals and everything else failing if used----and for probably way less $$$

Comment

Working...
                              X