Hemmings CLASSIC CAR, February issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hemmings CLASSIC CAR, February issue

My Hemmings Classic Car magazine arrived yesterday arrived & I saw the latest SDC ad on page 73! I don't know for sure who comes up with these, but they are sure neat. What do you other FORUM participants think?
    Bob Palma was right in predicting a neat Stude pickup would be appearing on page 86 as well.

I get the digital edition which has not arrived yet. Must have got delayed in the ether.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

The SDC VP is responsible for SDC advertising, but I believe some of this work has been farmed out to the past-Pres.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
        The SDC VP is responsible for SDC advertising, but I believe some of this work has been farmed out to the past-Pres.
        Gary is correct. As an old advertising man I truly believe these ads are very creative and do a great job in making SDC well respected in the classic car fraternity. By the way my issue also arrived yesterday. Canada delivery is really improving.

Stu Chapman

Comment

You guys now have me champing at the bit. Now I'm watching my mailbox for my next issue of Hemmings Classic Car. Can't wait. Aside from Turning Wheels, HCC is my favorite magazine.
          I believe that Stu and Gary are right on target. The SDC advertising campaign is spot on. I hope it translates to more members.
          Rog
          '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
          Smithtown,NY
          Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

For the most part, Tom Curtis has been spearheading these ads and the campaign to have them in major magazines.

Now, if we could just get some forum regulars who aren't SDC Members to pony up the small membership fee to support the club that pays for this forum....

(If you don't want to get Turning Wheels but still support the club because it pays for this forum, you can buy a non-subscription membership for a paltry $10 per year; less than 3 cents per day. I'm trying hard to imagine why anyone who posts here even occasionally wouldn't do that, just out of a sense of fair play.) BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I was surprised to find my copy arrived way out here in the corner of the country today also.
              Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
              50 Champion 2 door*
              53 Commander K Auto*
              53 Commander K overdrive*
              55 President Speedster
              62 GT 4Speed*
              63 Avanti R1*
              64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

I just received my copy of HCC today, Dec. 12th. I am now getting ready to peruse the inside.

Bob, I really have to thank you for saying what needed to be said about our forum friends and how they should support the Studebaker Drivers Club. It's a fantasic club. I've been a member since 1991 and have enjoyed all aspects of the club, including the International Meets, Turning Wheels and making numerous Studebaker friends. This Sunday, our local Long Island Chapter will have its annual Holiday Brunch. I look forward to this every year and enjoy seeing my Chapter friends.
                Rog
                '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                Smithtown,NY
                Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Finally got the digital issue today and read the article. Very nice although I notice they keep referring to the '53 Starliner as a coupe. Bob, can ya straighten them out on that one?
                  I like the Studebaker ad. Nice to see such good looking ads being run.
                  There was even a little blip on the '64 Challenger.
                  Ed Sallia
                  Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Mine came today also & noticed the ad which I like too, very effective. Weird that this magazine reaches me the same as others here but my Turning Wheels still hasn't come. Pulling out what's left of my hair out on that one!
                    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                    64 Zip Van
                    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
                      Finally got the digital issue today and read the article. Very nice although I notice they keep referring to the '53 Starliner as a coupe. Bob, can ya straighten them out on that one?
                      I like the Studebaker ad. Nice to see such good looking ads being run.
                      There was even a little blip on the '64 Challenger.
                      Ed, I think you mean Richard Lentinello's one-page flashback to the 1964 Studebaker Cruiser advertising, right?

I'll see what I can do on the coupe/hardtop discrepancy. It's an ongoing battle, you know... BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by raprice View Post
                        I just received my copy of HCC today, Dec. 12th. I am now getting ready to peruse the inside.

Bob, I really have to thank you for saying what needed to be said about our forum friends and how they should support the Studebaker Drivers Club. It's a fantasic club. I've been a member since 1991 and have enjoyed all aspects of the club, including the International Meets, Turning Wheels and making numerous Studebaker friends. This Sunday, our local Long Island Chapter will have its annual Holiday Brunch. I look forward to this every year and enjoy seeing my Chapter friends. Rog
                        Thanks for the support, Roger.

Some day, I dream of being wealthy enough to just fly around the country and show up at parties like that unannounced and meet all the people I'd never get to meet otherwise. Don't hold your breath, however. BP

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                          Ed, I think you mean Richard Lentinello's one-page flashback to the 1964 Studebaker Cruiser advertising, right?

I'll see what I can do on the coupe/hardtop discrepancy. It's an ongoing battle, you know... BP
                          We know that correctly a C body is a Starlight coupe and the K body is Starliner hardtop. However, the general term covering all of the C/K bodies is coupe. Please refer to the bottom of page 9 of "Studebaker's Finest" for support of this.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                            For the most part, Tom Curtis has been spearheading these ads and the campaign to have them in major magazines.

Now, if we could just get some forum regulars who aren't SDC Members to pony up the small membership fee to support the club that pays for this forum....

(If you don't want to get Turning Wheels but still support the club because it pays for this forum, you can buy a non-subscription membership for a paltry $10 per year; less than 3 cents per day. I'm trying hard to imagine why anyone who posts here even occasionally wouldn't do that, just out of a sense of fair play.) BP
                            GEEEEEEEEZ . you made me feel quilty so i renewed my membership.

Now i can sleep good tonight . ( winking smiley here ) .

Comment

Originally posted by aarrggh View Post
                              GEEEEEEEEZ. You made me feel guilty so i renewed my membership.

Now i can sleep good tonight. .
                              Good, Andrew; much appreciated. Thank you. I enjoy your continuing contributions to the Studebakers in Roadside Americana topic.

We've all become accustomed to things being "free" on the internet because advertisers are willing to pay to have their product in front of us whenever we click on a link, which is perfectly normal and acceptable. There is no such thing as a free lunch, here or anywhere else; those advertisers volunteer to pay for our lunch on the chance that enough people will respond to their advertising to make it worthwhile.

That's just not true for the SDC Forum; there are no advertisers to pay to have ads in front of us, so The Studebaker Drivers Club has to pay the costs involved with having the forum "up." I know some forum regulars have an issue with some facet or member of SDC and feel they are proudly making some kind of statement about something that probably happened years ago...and, by George, they want to exert their anger about that and so won't pay the dues to join SDC, but still use the forum, as if those of us who are members are supposed to fall all over ourselves soothing their bruised ego(s).

Sorry, but that still doesn't entitle anyone to a free lunch, in my never-so-humble opinion, because there is no such thing as a free lunch. Somebody is paying the cost of having the forum available for their use. (And we are NOT talking about "newbies" who come here looking for Studebaker information; they are welcome and encouraged to access Studebaker information here because providing access to Studebaker information on the internet is a legitimate function of SDC money spent to promote the club through the internet.)

But "regulars" who are just too cheap or have a chip on their shoulder simply need to get a grip and PAY UP. BP

Comment

Working...
                              X