Dana 44 inquiries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana 44 inquiries

I replaced my 54' 6 cyl rearend with a 55' V8 dana 44. my car isn't running yet but with the car on jackstands and the 4-speed trans in neutral, I can turn the back wheels and the driveshaft will turn. Then I put the trans in gear and the drive shaft won,t turn but both wheels do. Going by the no question is a stupid question phrase, do I got a ploblem here?

Not as long as they are turning in different directions. Lamar

Comment

stevie wrote -
      ""Then I put the trans in gear and the drive shaft won,t turn but both wheels do.""

Not happening THAT way..!!

If the whels turn, the driveshaft turns... Or you have a ghost lurking.

Mike

Comment

With the driveshaft held from turning, you should be able to turn one wheel and the opposite wheel will turn in the opposite direction due to the spider gears in the differential. (That's why it's called a differential, sort of). This is true unless you have a limited slip AKA TT or posi-traction OR if you have one brake shoe locked up.

Comment

No you do not have any problems, all is as it should be.

Comment

Did you change the driveshaft too? One for a 44 should be shorter but that wouldn't be causing your dilemma (or could it?). With the engine off & the trans in neutral can you turn the driveshaft by hand? Then can you turn a rear wheel & see if the driveshaft turns? I'm wondering if your using the old driveshaft if it's binding either in the trans or at the rear end.
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

It simply means the rear end is not twin traction.Both wheels turn in opposite direction with out 'shaft turning.That's the differential working as it should.
              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

If you remove the fill plug and you can stick your finger all the way in, you have a non Twin Track differential. When you turn the drive shaft the wheels should turn in opposite direction. When in gear, shaft should not turn, but wheels will turn, again, in opposite direction.

If you remove the fill plug and you can NOT stick your finger all the way in, you have a Twin Track differential. When you turn the drive shaft the wheels should turn in the same direction. When in gear, shaft should not turn, and the wheels will not turn.

When in gear, the drive shaft should not turn. If you have someone push in on the clutch with it in gear, it should turn again.

If it does not turn with it in gear and the clutch in, then maybe you have the linkage not adjusted correctly, such as reverse engaged when in a fwd gear.

So far, what you have sounds OK..

Comment

A 55 model rear end would not have come with twin traction would it?
                  "In the heart of Arkansas."
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
                  X