58 packard j8 hardtop owners roster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 58 packard j8 hardtop owners roster

After some thought, and talking with a couple members on this forum, I have decided i would like to take on the task of being the roster keeper for the 58 Packard J-body 2 door hardtops. That is, if someone else isn't already doing it ? So, if you are a current owner, previous owner, know of a car in your neighbors garage or rotting away in a field, i would like to hear from you. The more info provided, the better, but at least Serial #, Body tag # and location. Options, if known will also be recorded. What i have in mind is to gather the info, record it and have a list of sorts, to pass on to interested members. I have a great interest and love for these cars, and think there is enough interest out there to warrant doing it. You can PM me, with info or call. My # is listed in the SDC membership roster. Also, anyone whom may have started gathering this info, i would like to hear from you.
    Thank you,
    Dave Weichey
    Butler, PA

It is my understanding that this one covers them, Quote :

" Studebaker Hardtop Registry. SDC member Dan Branch has a new registry specifically for 1952 and 1958 Studebaker Hardtops. The goal is to register surviving 1952 and 1958 hardtops, and support restoration and preservation of these models. CLICK HERE to visit the web site."

This is the '52 Starliner Hardtop "K" Body and the "J" Body '58 Starlights, it includes both Studebaker and the Studebaker Packard J Body Hardtops.

Registries are listed and registered under the "Resources" Link on the Main Home Page.

Dan may be glad to hand off the Packard portion, you should ask him.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 12-08-2014, 02:59 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

StudeRich, thanks for the info. I didn't know this site existed. I will contact Dan.

Comment

Keep me in the loop Dave. I once made an attempt at a Registry for '56-'58 Studebaker and Packard sedans/wagons. I don't think I got any info about any hardtops besides the one I almost bought back around '94 or so. But I might have something I forgot about. It has been a long time since I have seen my list, or the pile of paperwork I had collected...

StudeDave '57
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

StudeDave57, will keep you posted, and likewise if you find your stack of papers, i would be interested in the results.
          Thanks for the input,
          Dave

Comment

Originally posted by 58L-J8 Guy View Post
            StudeDave57, will keep you posted, and likewise if you find your stack of papers, i would be interested in the results.
            Thanks for the input, Dave
            I'll let you know. But be forewarned~
            I won't be able to even start looking until I return 'home' to Washington.
            I do not currently know exactly when that might happen...

StudeDave '57
            StudeDave '57
            US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
            San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

I can't speak for any of the other "Johnny Come Latelys" but in my case- this is the first I have heard of your records and resources. And in my defense- I only joined SDC after I turned 16 and got my license to drive in 1986. But my interest in '58 Packards didn't come until much much later. When/if my Registry ever gets back off the ground- I'd love to see what you've got.

Oh, and if you're still keeping track of these fine cars-- my '58 sedan is body number 78.

(the other info you likely want is 1300 miles away right now. PM me.)

StudeDave '57
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by Stanwood
                Have always resented a little, the fact that NOT ONE of the "Johnny Come Lately" enthusiasts for those cars as EVER contacted me, requesting my records and resources. A pity, because I still know those cars better than anybody alive.
                You're going to open up a can of worms with that comment. Some here have been around these cars when they were new, and are fully knowledgeable of them, particularly, StudeRich and Gary L.

Craig

Comment

Hi Dave,
                  Got your email and will reply. Yea, happy to hand off what I have to someone with the desire to take it on! I have not had time to give the registry project any attention for several years now.
                  (I had not even clicked on my webpage in a log time, but that link in StudeRich's post shows the front page got screwed up at some point. Will have to redo it.)

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                    You're going to open up a can of worms with that comment. Some here have been around these cars when they were new, and are fully knowledgeable of them, particularly, StudeRich and Gary L.

Craig
                    "Stanwood" knows more about these models than I do. We have worked together on them for many decades.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Three 1958 Packard Hardtops come to mind.
                      1) I bought a red & white Hardtop with optional all-vinyl interior from Mr. Cherry of Cherry Autobody in Port Jervis, NY. I kept this car (drove it, showed it, etc.) for more than nine years. I sold it, in good condition, to "Chick" Capra in the Utica, NY area. I have lost track of it since.
                      2) Mrs.Knight, the mother of the two Knight brothers that owned Knight Brothers Garage, the Studebaker dealership in Wappingers Falls, NY, owned a red & white Hardtop with the standard interior. Her car has bounced aroung some and AFAIK is now in poor condition and resides in Hopewell Junction, NY.
                      3) This is a Hardtop that is in primer and I see at local shows. I believe that it resides in the Kingston, NY area.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                        "Stanwood" knows more about these models than I do. We have worked together on them for many decades.
                        For one, I never stated you or Rich know more about them, but at least as much with you being a long-time owner of one who performs his own mechanical work; not to mention judging them at meets.

Now I really wonder about you actually working with him on this, going by his PM to me this morning:

Gary and I have exchanged minutia about those cars for 30 years--and battled furiously back in the early 1980s about what SDC class they should be judged in. (I won.)
                        It appears a there was a great deal of animosity between you and him, and got pissed me when I mentioned your name.

Now, do you want to continue to argue with somebody who knows what he is talking about on this subject, because I will match you keystroke for keystroke, with ever increasing hostility and disrespect. After our little retro Bird "tiff", can assure you I don't like you very much.
                        Craig

Comment

StudeDave57: PM sent.
                          Got it- reply sent.
                          StudeDave '57
                          US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                            For one, I never stated you or Rich know more about them, but at least as much with you being a long-time owner of one who performs his own mechanical work; not to mention judging them at meets.

Now I really wonder about you actually working with him on this, going by his PM to me this morning:

It appears a there was a great deal of animosity between you and him, and got pissed me when I mentioned your name.

Craig
                            I did not say that you stated that I knew more about these cars than Stanwood. I stated that he knows more about them than I do.

By working with him, I did not mean to imply that we physically worked on the cars together. What I meant is that we had a common interest in these cars and discussed them over the decades in an attempt to promote them and information about them and provided parts.

I do not recall any "animosity". When I set up the "SDC Judging Rules and Regulations", he disagreed with me about the placement of these cars (Packards). This was the same as Pres. Wayne disagreed with me about the placement of post-Studebaker Avantis. For both of these, I was outvoted by the SDC Board.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Gary, I will record the 3 58's that you have listed. Thank you, Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X