Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Among my souvenirs #15 (Horse drawn color advertising)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Among my souvenirs #15 (Horse drawn color advertising)

Click image for larger version

Name:	composite medium copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	1745207Click image for larger version

Name:	composite medium2.jpg
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	1745208Click image for larger version

Name:	composite medium3 copy.jpg
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	1745209Click image for larger version

Name:	composite medium4 copy.jpg
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	1745210
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Thought I would post one of the cards in a larger size so you can better appreciate the artistry and color.

Name:	20 fancy parcel wagon copy.jpg
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	1693119
    Richard Quinn

Comment

Thanks once again for sharing your remarkable collection of Studebaker items. I had no idea that they had such beautiful artwork on their post cards back then. I can see why you value your collection of them. As always, they are perfect. I hope you will keep on sharing the unique items in your collection. I plan to be on the lookout for at least one of these in the future. Would look great framed and on my desk.
      Good roads in 2015 to all.
      Nick

Comment

Question? All my life, I have associated Taxi service with yellow color (Yellow Cab Co.). Looking at these advertisements...preceding the automobile...was the color yellow universally used to indicate "commercial vehicles for hire?"

Also, someone with Studebaker, recognized, early on, the value of mobile advertising. I have seen several original horse drawn vehicles with enough original paint to see that they often not only were stenciled with Studebaker logo, but the company name of the dealer as well.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

John

On my two board wagon the name of the dealer was stenciled on the side. You can still see it in this picture, the Studebaker name is below it on the bottom board.

The Studebaker name is also on the tailgate.

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
            Question? All my life, I have associated Taxi service with yellow color (Yellow Cab Co.). Looking at these advertisements...preceding the automobile...was the color yellow universally used to indicate "commercial vehicles for hire?"

Also, someone with Studebaker, recognized, early on, the value of mobile advertising. I have seen several original horse drawn vehicles with enough original paint to see that they often not only were stenciled with Studebaker logo, but the company name of the dealer as well.
            I beleive the yellow color was started by Hertz in the teens so prospective riders could distinguish the taxis from afar. Of course at that time most passenger cars were black or other very dark colors.
            Richard Quinn

Comment

Originally posted by ndynis View Post
              Thanks once again for sharing your remarkable collection of Studebaker items. I had no idea that they had such beautiful artwork on their post cards back then. I can see why you value your collection of them. As always, they are perfect. I hope you will keep on sharing the unique items in your collection. I plan to be on the lookout for at least one of these in the future. Would look great framed and on my desk.
              Good roads in 2015 to all.
              Nick
              Actually most of the color images I posted were from Studebaker's 1893 World's Fair souvenir booklet and they had no printing on the reverse side. At that time postal cards were not permitted but a change in post office policy changed that and they proliferated after that (c1900). Ad cards typically had advertising on the reverse side and measured 5 X 7." I will post one later.
              Richard Quinn

Comment

Below a typical ad card from the 1890s. Note printing on both sides. Most of the Studebaker ad cards (not post cards) were 5 X 7" in size.

Name:	1890s ad car front back.jpg
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	1693122
                Richard Quinn

Comment

Thanks for the info update Richard. I'll keep my eyes open. Maybe at the National in St. Louis!

Comment

Originally posted by ndynis View Post
                    Thanks for the info update Richard. I'll keep my eyes open. Maybe at the National in St. Louis!
                    Why not just pick out one from the original set I posted and I will email it to you in high resolution and you can print it out.
                    Richard Quinn

Comment

Working...
                    X