South Bend Cubs reveal new logo with Studebaker ties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Bend Cubs reveal new logo with Studebaker ties

For anybody keeping track South Bend has a minor league baseball team literally across the street from Building 84. For years they were known as the "Silverhawks" as a tip of the hat to Studebaker. Their old logo was the Studebaker Hawk bird but with ball bats crossed at its feet. That logo was later changed to a cartoon style bird. The Silverhawks were a feeder team to the Arizona Diamondbacks.
    This past year the Hawks cut ties with the Diamondbacks and are now an affiliation of the Chicago Cubs. As a result they changed their name to the "South Bend Cubs" (how original...) and today they unveiled their new logo which was modeled after the Studebaker Authorized Service signs.
    Here's a link:

My personal feeling about the "South Bend Cubs" is mixed. Having grown up in South Bend which is in the Midwest I've always been a Cubs fan, but that's Chicago. This is South Bend and I think that our baseball team should at least have their own name. Oh well, at least they're attempting to keep Studebaker alive at the ball park; sort of.
    Chris Dresbach

Could be worse....

Comment

Very nice! Well done! Very retro, which I like.
      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

I have been to the field in the past and bought a couple of the hats , green with a silver hawk , nice hat still have one here some where, things change as we all know , could be worse like the South Bend Honda's
        Last edited by candbstudebakers; 12-05-2014, 07:37 AM.
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

Nice logo but sure don't see anything Studebaker in it.

Comment

Originally posted by tjanowia View Post
            Nice logo but sure don't see anything Studebaker in it.
            That's kind of my feeling too !
            Besides its a circle and those 3 short lines in the middle there isn't anything there that anyone would relate to Studebaker
            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

In the report they stated the Studebaker connection was in the type font chosen. I see it.
              Ed Sallia
              Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

eh . . . . . .

Comment

I wouldn't be too worried, Des Moines also has a farm team Iowa Cubs, Des Moines was the beginnings of the Duesenberg Brothers and only a few of us locals remember and know where their building is. I was in South Bend and Auburn last month and amazed of what is no longer standing of the Studebaker buildings. Tippicanoe Place looks good as ever.

Comment

If you look at the circular logo, the font is the same as on the 1950 bulletnose. That's the closest tie in with Studebaker.

Comment

Working...
                    X