John Boyle & his 1914 Stutz Bearcat replica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Boyle & his 1914 Stutz Bearcat replica

While reading the !2/03/14, Wednesday, issue of the WSJ I was pleased to see an article about John Boyle and his car which was built by George Barris for the TV series "Bearcat" in 1971. Barris built two replicas and John Boyle found his after a 25 year search. The article is on page D4. The car has been a topic as I recall, but I do not think the article has. Maybe someone can post the story.
    "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Bob

Thanks for the mention, here's a link to the article.

The day the photographer came to shoot the car it was 25 degrees and foggy, not a great day for an open car. But he made it work, that's why he's a pro...
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I think the weather was just right. This picture in particular would not be the same without the fog...

Beautiful car, John!
      Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Congratulations. The story left me wanting to know more. Was the car in this wonderful condition when you got it or have you had it restored?
        Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
        50 Champion 2 door*
        53 Commander K Auto*
        53 Commander K overdrive*
        55 President Speedster
        62 GT 4Speed*
        63 Avanti R1*
        64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Stutz Photo

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
          I think the weather was just right. This picture in particular would not be the same without the fog...

Beautiful car, John!
          I agree with Dick, I think that it is a great picture! Good job John.
          Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander

Comment

Nice car
            I've only heard of the show because of my interest in model kits. I should have know that there are clips of it on youtube.

Comment

That's a definite head turner.

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
                Congratulations. The story left me wanting to know more. Was the car in this wonderful condition when you got it or have you had it restored?
                Thanks to all for the nice comments.

Don, Mechanically the drivetrain was fine, it needed paint, seats recovered, dash, floorboards, instruments, new wood wheels, tires and a lot of details.
                63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

And, by the way, what is the drive train?
                  Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                  50 Champion 2 door*
                  53 Commander K Auto*
                  53 Commander K overdrive*
                  55 President Speedster
                  62 GT 4Speed*
                  63 Avanti R1*
                  64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

The car's a beauty! I wonder what powers it.
                    Rog
                    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                    Smithtown,NY
                    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Pinto or iron duke?
                      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                        Pinto or iron duke?
                        Neither. Some internet "expert" who probably has never seen my car called it "Pinto based". Nonsense.
                        Most Barris customs (like the Munster Coach and of course the Lincoln Futura-based Batmobile) seemingly had Ford power plants. In the early 60s he and other well-known customizers did some work for Ford. But then again, he also did a good number of GM and Chrysler cars.

It has a Ford 223 C.I. I-6..the base engines for most Fords and pickups from 1954 to 64.
                        It's hooked to a 4-speed with a low first gear suggesting that the transmission, and possibly the engine, came out of a pickup. There is a rebuild tag from a LA rebuilder (Barris obviously watched his pennies).
                        My car has more than twice the power of a real Bearcat: 134 hp vs. 60, but the car weighs 25% less...and has the added benefit of four wheel (hydraulic) brakes. Like most cars of the period, the Bearcat came with rear brakes only...and those were none too great. They say with most brass-ear cars you have to plan your stops about a block ahead.
                        The rear axle on my car is early 65 production Mustang. The frame is custom made from 2" x 6" rectangular tube. Bodywork is all steel.
                        63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Having seen John's "repro" Bearcat in person, I can say it is one really cool car. I can understand why he enjoys owning it. BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
                            Neither. Some internet "expert" who probably has never seen my car called it "Pinto based". Nonsense.
                            Most Barris customs (like the Munster Coach and of course the Lincoln Futura-based Batmobile) seemingly had Ford power plants. In the early 60s he and other well-known customizers did some work for Ford. But then again, he also did a good number of GM and Chrysler cars.

It has a Ford 223 C.I. I-6..the base engines for most Fords and pickups from 1954 to 64.
                            It's hooked to a 4-speed with a low first gear suggesting that the transmission, and possibly the engine, came out of a pickup. There is a rebuild tag from a LA rebuilder (Barris obviously watched his pennies).
                            My car has more than twice the power of a real Bearcat: 134 hp vs. 60, but the car weighs 25% less...and has the added benefit of four wheel (hydraulic) brakes. Like most cars of the period, the Bearcat came with rear brakes only...and those were none too great. They say with most brass-ear cars you have to plan your stops about a block ahead.
                            The rear axle on my car is early 65 production Mustang. The frame is custom made from 2" x 6" rectangular tube. Bodywork is all steel.
                            I assumed the original was a four cylinder so they would have used a four. But I guess they have sound tracks for any motor!

The replica Winton Flyer from "The Rievers" had a BMC 1275cc four cylinder IIRC.

In the trailer shown above there is a scene where it runs over the camera. I thought the diff looked like a Ford 9" more or less. I don't have a clue what a real bearcat had. I guessed it might have had a fixed diff and chain drive?
                            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I assumed the original was a four cylinder so they would have used a four.
                              Early Bearcats had a Wisconsin 4. Later ones had a Stutz-built six as an option. And yes, in the series, they did dub in the engine sound.

The replica Winton Flyer from "The Rievers" had a BMC 1275cc four cylinder IIRC.
                              I've been told the car used in that film (one of my favorites) bears little resemblance to a Winton of the period. I can't find a photo of a 1905 Winton, but the car in the film certainly doesn't look like a 1903 or 4.
                              Years ago, I asked a Winton expert about the film, he said they used the name and little or nothing else....they did make a "Flyer", but not in 1905.

I don't have a clue what a real Bearcat had. I guessed it might have had a fixed diff and chain drive?
                              Actually, the Bearcat had a transaxle...the thing that put Harry Stutz on the automotive map. When you look at a real Stutz of that period, the transaxle is considerably larger than the diff.
                              No Stutz was ever chain drive.
                              Last edited by JBOYLE; 12-06-2014, 10:47 PM.
                              63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
                              X