Wheel back spacing and lowering.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel back spacing and lowering.

I understand most on here are restorers or preservers.
    I myself like everything from 100% restored to modified. Lately I've been thinking about a "family cruiser" with a bit of early 60s vibe to it.
    Thinking 62-63 Lark 4dr. Would prefer a 2dr but it's a matter of budgeting.
    My thoughts are, chrome reverse wheels, narrow white walls, lowered all around with a slight early 60s forward rake.
    My friend did this photoshop. I would have gone a little lower with a slight bit less rake. It still gives a visual though.
    He used a random pic off the internet.
    The question is..... How much backspacing can be used on these Larks? Plus with lowering it...
    Attached Files
    Orlando FLA

To get that kind of lowering you will have to modify the front and rear suspension, Lots of $.

Comment

As in air bags? I've had 50s Chevrolets and Fords I've lowered and never needed anything fancy. The car above is only lowered about 2-3" in front and maybe 1" rear.
      My concern is wheel backspacing/fender clearance on these when lowered when lowered.
      Orlando FLA

Comment

To get the stance in the second pic, nothing special is needed. Cut the front coils, and lowering blocks in the rear.

Start with a cut of 1/2 coil, reassemble, and drive it for a few weeks until it "settles". If not low enough, cut another 1/4 coil. Easy to cut more...tough to put material back . After cutting the coil, flatten out the cut end some with an angle grinder so it sits better in the A arm pocket.

Generic lowering blocks for the rear are super simple and inexpensive. They come in kits with the longer U bolts. 1-3". Again, start with less than you THINK you want.

In your second picture, I would take the rear down another inch, but leave the front.

Here's my 63 Lark with 1/2 coil cut and stock rear (rear has sagged some from stock)

Stock 63 Stude disc brake wheels all around.

Here's my 53 custom...1/2 coil cut, 2" lowering blocks in rear...

Stock 53 Stude wheels front, 6" MoPar wheels rear.

As Decappa points out, there is not much room under a Stude for different wheels. There is room in the back on the inside, however, if you have plenty of backspacing. At least 3" on a 6" wheel and 4" on a 7" wheel. Too much backspacing in the front will mess with the suspension/steering parts...too little and the tires mess with the fenders on a lowered car. If you juggle just right front and rear, you can mount wheels that will hold bigger tires, but tough to get that deep dish wheel look that you can easily get with same years Fords and Chevys.
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks Dick, I figured you would weigh in on this. Thanks for the information.
          I remember my 56 Champion had little space in the wheel well. I would only want enough backspacing to atleast give the effect of the reversed wheels.
          As far as tires, I'd stick to "period correct".
          I agree with the rear being dropped 1" more.
          Orlando FLA

Comment

Since know one's really answered your question...
            ""The question is..... How much backspacing can be used on these Larks? Plus with lowering it...""

You best bet is to wait till you get the actual car (or is it the car shown?), and measure the actual car. I've found cars to be off as much as an inch...that have a record of NOT...being crashed. So best to measure your actual car.

As far as wheel offset to the outside...not much there on Studebakers. Espicially the front. You can do what I did and narrow the rear axle housing and get a nicely offset wheel in there then. Looks good when done with some actual depth to the wheel.
            I had my housing narrowed 2" on each side. And that's about as far as you can go and still use the stock leaf springs, in the stock locations.
            But as noted, kinda out of luck on the front for a deep wheel.

Mike

Comment

That's what I figured. I remember my 56 having little space.
              Orlando FLA

Comment

I've used 16X6 Wheel Vintiques with 4" backspacing on my 63 Lark Wagonaire. The springs are a little relaxed and I had to roll the front fender lips in the center to stop rubbing while in full turn. The rear fender lips clear the tires by just under an inch. Check out the first pic in my album under my profile.
                Last edited by garrilla; 12-04-2014, 07:07 PM. Reason: Forgot tire size
                Gary

Comment

I've used 16X6 Wheel Vintiques with 4" backspacing on my 63 Lark Wagonaire. The springs are a little relaxed and I had to roll the front fender lips in the center to stop rubbing while in full turn. The rear fender lips clear the tires by just under an inch. Check out the first pic in my album under my profile. Tire size is 215-65-16
                  Gary

Comment

Garrilla, thanks for the input!
                    Very nice wagon
                    Orlando FLA

Comment

Originally posted by s1b View Post
                      Garrilla, thanks for the input!
                      Very nice wagon
                      Glad to help. And thanks for the compliment, it was love at first sight for me!
                      Gary

Comment

These were the wheels I was thinking of on the front.
                        Free Shipping - Wheel Vintiques 64 Series Ford-Chevy Style O.E. Chrome Wheels with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Wheels at Summit Racing.

Then maybe slightly wider on the rear?
                        Orlando FLA

Comment

sals54

Comment

Sal54, doesn't cost for almost everything these days make you go wow
                            Orlando FLA

Comment

sals54

Comment

Working...
                              X