Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1955-56 Packard 352" V8 completely rebuilt and ready to go.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1955-56 Packard 352" V8 completely rebuilt and ready to go.

1955-56 Packard 352" V8

Bored and diamond honed with torque plate
    New .040" pistons and rings
    Crankshaft reground .020", new main, rod and cam bearings
    Camshaft reground, new lifters and timing chain
    New valves, guides, seals, hard exhaust seats
    Rocker shafts cleaned, rocker tips reground
    Timing cover and front balance damper cleaned and installed
    Oil pan soda blasted and washed

The long block is assembled and ready to go.
    Your choice of rebuilt Packard oil pump or Oldsmobile oil pump conversion.
    Painted correct '56J red or your choice of color

This engine rebuilt to the highest professional standards is only $3995.

Can take your core engine in exchange or $500 core charge.
    PM me with your zip code and I can get a shipping quote.

Jack Vines
    Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
    Spokane, WA
    509-953-6023
    PackardV8

Oh.... DROOL!!!Click image for larger version

Name:	smiley-excited002.gif
Views:	6
Size:	2.2 KB
ID:	1693084 Wouldn't THAT be fun in Bess?
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
      Oh.... DROOL!!![ATTACH=CONFIG]39687[/ATTACH] Wouldn't THAT be fun in Bess?
      Putting a Packard V8 in my '55 E12 wasn't easy, but it sure is fun!

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0005.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	1693085

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
        1955-56 Packard 352" V8

Bored and diamond honed with torque plate
        New .040" pistons and rings
        Crankshaft reground .020", new main, rod and cam bearings
        Camshaft reground, new lifters and timing chain
        New valves, guides, seals, hard exhaust seats
        Rocker shafts cleaned, rocker tips reground
        Timing cover and front balance damper cleaned and installed
        Oil pan soda blasted and washed

The long block is assembled and ready to go.
        Your choice of rebuilt Packard oil pump or Oldsmobile oil pump conversion.
        Painted correct '56J red or your choice of color

This engine rebuilt to the highest professional standards is only $3995.

Can take your core engine in exchange or $500 core charge.
        PM me with your zip code and I can get a shipping quote.

Jack Vines
        Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
        Spokane, WA
        509-953-6023
        Jack, why wouldn't you install an Oldsmobile oil pump as a matter of course? Would a freshly rebuilt Packard oil pump be any better than the problematic original?

Comment

My understanding is that the rebuilt pump is the one like used on the Golden Hawks, and the Hudson/Nash cars.(the type with the solid bottom plate) That is without the vacuum bottom pump that let all the air in. Also when it is rebuilt, they add a bronze bushing where the shaft protrudes for the distributor. When this is done all of the Packard type problems are eliminated from the pump.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
            My understanding is that the rebuilt pump is the one like used on the Golden Hawks, and the Hudson/Nash cars.(the type with the solid bottom plate) That is without the vacuum bottom pump that let all the air in. Also when it is rebuilt, they add a bronze bushing where the shaft protrudes for the distributor. When this is done all of the Packard type problems are eliminated from the pump.
            What you're missing here Brad, is that the later 1956 Packard V8 engine oil pump ALSO had low oil pressure output as engine mileage increased. This later pump didn't have the vacuum pump you mentioned, but it still had the chronic problem of aerated oil...........I'm simply asking that if the Oldsmobile oil pump conversion solves this low oil pressure issue, why not just go ahead and install the Olds pump and be done with it?

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
              What you're missing here Brad, is that the later 1956 Packard V8 engine oil pump ALSO had low oil pressure output as engine mileage increased. This later pump didn't have the vacuum pump you mentioned, but it still had the chronic problem of aerated oil...........I'm simply asking that if the Oldsmobile oil pump conversion solves this low oil pressure issue, why not just go ahead and install the Olds pump and be done with it?
              Yes, after I've redesigned and rebuilt the Packard pump, with or without the vacuum pump, there is twice as much bearing area and the wear-caused low oil pressure is eliminated. FWIW, I put the Packard pump in the engine I built for my pickup just to prove the concept.

No, I don't argue with the customer; I give those Packard owners who want to retain the vacuum pump a viable option.

Maybe, either way, a new engine with today's oil and maintained properly won't have problems with either pump.

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

Jack,
                That is a heck of a deal, for anyone looking to drive and enjoy their 56J or 55/56 Packard. All things considered, it would be difficult to do one much cheaper, and yours is top shelf to boot. As you, I'd also have no qualms about putting a Packard V8 in anything else, Studebaker.

I choose the Olds pump. As you say, nothing wrong with a properly refurbished OEM, but I like the Olds' extra volume. The standard (versus HO) version fits the bill nicely on my 56J. With the relief valve opening at 60 PSI, it is a good match for the GM seal.

As for real seal, OEM, rope type is OK. But if its a repro rope, I'd choose the modern, GM neoprene seal.

I am sure you have all those little quirks ironed out, and would highly recommend one of your motors, with confidence.
                Last edited by JoeHall; 12-03-2014, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X