Truck V8 and bell housing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck V8 and bell housing

I am looking for a truck V8 and bell housing to use with the existing truck 4 speed trans in my 3E11 1957 3/4 ton pickup. Does anyone have a spare drivetrain? I am in Prosser, Wa. in south central Washington.
    Thanks

You would need to look up the Trans. Input Shaft part Number in the Studebaker Chassis Parts Catalog, there is a strong possibility that it is different from your Commander Six 3E11 Trans. to the E12 V8 Engine.

The V8 4 Speed Housings are out there, we may have one here but it would take some serious "Digging" to pull one out of the Pole building or a Parts Truck in this 22 Degree weather.

Rebuildable 259 and 289's are plentiful, it is things like the special Truck Water Manifold, Front and Rear Engine Mount BRACKETS, Throttle Bellcrank etc. all very different from the Car Engines that are everywhere, and extremely hard to find.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Here's a whole truck you can buy! http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/...ationFlag=true

Craig

Comment

That is a Great looking V8 dump Truck, I am betting there is more than One surprise there!

For starters, I see the 5 Speed Direct or O.D. Shift Pattern Plate on the dash and a way bigger Diff. than a 1 Ton, that square tube Axle is more like a 2 Ton.

Also a H.D. 289?

It's just too bad it is in someplace called Manitoba, that's gotta be Far, far away from Prosser, WA USA.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 12-01-2014, 05:26 PM.
        StudeRich
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yes, I guess I need to look at that input shaft, I assumed the transmission was the same for both engines.
          Thanks for that input.

Comment

A bridge (or two) too far?

Comment

That is a Great looking V8 dump Truck, I am betting there is more than One surprise there!

For starters, I see the 5 Speed Direct or O.D. Shift Pattern Plate on the dash and a way bigger Diff. than a 1 Ton, that square tube Axle is more like a 2 Ton.

Also a H.D. 289?

It's just too bad it is in someplace called Manitoba, that's gotta be Far, far away from Prosser, WA USA.

Tempted to say " you can't get there from here".
              But it is a good looking truck!

Comment

I have the bell housing, and maybe still have the mounts front and back, no water manifold and they are hard to find, Iam in California, near San Francisco , also do have a T-85 truck trans with over drive in case your 4 speed does not fit, overdrive is better any way... 510-266-2522...Bob
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

Also a H.D. 289?

You're convincing yourself it's worth the trip to go get it!! (Though I would definitely wait until springtime. Manitoba is NO place to picnic at this time of year!)

Craig

Comment

I have a truck V8 water manifold available.
                    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                      I have a truck V8 water manifold available.
                      There you go, Roscomacaw is also in California, you can take a drive south, see the country and save shipping....Bob
                      Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

I have a rusty '64 champ that has a 259/4sp. that I am going to part out to put a V8 into a 54 3sp OD. I won't need the running engine and 4sp. I don't know if the champs use the truck water manifold.
                        Rob

Comment

decap; If you have a support plate between your 6 banger and the bell housing you already have the housing you need.

Comment

Originally posted by mapman View Post
                            I have a rusty '64 champ that has a 259/4sp. that I am going to part out to put a V8 into a 54 3sp OD. I won't need the running engine and 4sp. I don't know if the champs use the truck water manifold.
                            Rob
                            Only '55 to '64 V8 "C" Cabs use the special raised Water Manifold.
                            StudeRich
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Stude Rich, I have a truck water manifold for a V8 that I bought from Les Schmidt years ago and never used, I can use the car manifold in my truck because it has an electric fan. I'd like to sell it if anyone is interested. Thanks, Don

Comment

Working...
                              X